Double vs. Single Bladder Wings (and bungees too).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tek Adventure Diver:
OK wat bout this, double bladder and dry suit, using a 6/94 mix, your argon. bottle free flows. cant inflate your dry suit, have 5 hours deco, your wing goes, theres 100 feet below you, how are you gunna get up. the other WING WOULD HELP NOW. haha, its all bout pratical, nothing is anithing diff, wit a dual wing, OMS doesnt create more drag, its nice
Try that 6/94 on the surface and tell us how it works for you.

Oops let me translate.

ooog theee 6/94 ground dude...ooooh oohh *****in.

Jeff - please don't scare him off.

Tek - i know a lot of people here do not take you seriously and may even say sarcastic things to you. Please don't listen to them. I for one thoroughly enjoy reading your postings - I find them fascinating and go out of my way to read them. Please continue to post regularly.

So please let us know the details of your 400 ft dive: where did you dive, how much gas did you need, who was in your team and what mixes did you use?

U r 1 Kewl dudz.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
Tek - i know a lot of people here do not take you seriously and may even say sarcastic things to you. Please don't listen to them. I for one thoroughly enjoy reading your postings - I find them fascinating and go out of my way to read them. Please continue to post regularly.
*groan* what happened to my thread?

Unfortunately, you come across people like Tek Adventure Diver on the internet - people who desperately want the status of 'expert' in some field but won't take the conventional route of actually learning and doing to get there.

I remember in rec.running we had one for a long time who claimed he was running 2:20 marathons but strangely could never actually list a race where that could be verified.

I suspect Tek is the same - if he's really doing 400'+ dives then people in the dive community know who he is - he will be known to at least some clubs and charters - other people on this board will have heard of him. So, Tek, who are you in real life? Who can verify your claims?

In the meantime (while we're waiting) any input on my original question?

I take you seriously with polite, I proud of you "210m" tell me more about your dive.

Hey Tek - quick question:

I was reading through your previous posts and am kicking myself for missing them when they originally came out. Anyway you once stated:

Tek Adventure Diver:
You should go with Mares. Use there Dragon BCD, MC1 Dive Computer/SPG/Compass,Proton Metal v16 reg,rebel octo. This stuff is amazing it is what i started out with. It has wieght intergrated,partcial Back infaltion and durable. The reg is so light and pretty small for just an entry level. It is tested to -1. the Console uses air and nitrox. it logs up to 100 dives. Black lite. Very impressive

What’s interesting, apart from your imaginative interpretation of spelling and grammar, is that you state that you started out with this gear. The proton metal and dragon came out no earlier than late 2003/early 2004 and I think the MC1 was around 2004?

This suggests you started out diving in early 2004. As you have 3000 dives and are a Padi master instructor and trimix instructor you have certainly been busy in the last two and a half years: that’s 1200 dives a year: over 3 dives a day every day. And look at all the places you've been "Great Barrier Reef, Fiji, Alaska, Personal fave. Antartica, Mexico, Italy, South Africa,New Zeland,Great Lakes"

Lordy do!

Cheers,
Rohan.

BarryNL:
*groan* what happened to my thread?

In the meantime (while we're waiting) any input on my original question?

Sorry Barry - I owe you a beer for the hijack.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tek sound like a Mark Ellyat Clone or Sockpuppet . . .(heck, might even be one of his students!)

These are my thoughts so far on the double bladder wings:

- They probably don't provide the redundancy you need. Looking inside a double bladder wing it's pretty clear that any incident which punctured one bladder would almost certainly puncture both.

- Properly weighted, I am only negative by the weight of my gas at the start of a dive - around 4kg with double-12s. I can certainly achieve this much bouyancy with my drysuit. I may need to ditch stages but I can certainly survive a defective wing using my drysuit (and I'm carrying two DSMBs at least if I really want the extra bouyancy - maybe to send the stages up?).

- The only situation a double bladder really protects against is a leaking inflator - even a runaway inflator can be easily dealt with by disconnecting the hose and orally inflating. Even with a leaking inflator the air shouldn't escape fast enough to cause a problem - especially if the drysuit is being used to take up some of the slack.

- An extra LP hose would mess up my hose routing from my DS4s, unless I also went to a separate argon drysuit inflation system.

All in all, I think the double bladder can be dismissed unless anyone has some good reasons why not.

I used single bladder non-bungeed Halcyon Explorer 40lb.:wink:
BarryNL:
Well, my loan doubles-wing - an OMS single bladder non-bungeed model has to go back soon so I need to buy my own. I'm trying to decide whether to go single or double bladder, plus bungeed or non-bungeed, and also which brand.

Let the advice begin...

Well if you hadn't mounted that argon bottle between your doubles, you could have easily shut it down.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2180523#post2180523

Why don't you also show us the math. Why do you need 94 lbs of lift with three bottles?

Tek Adventure Diver:
OK wat bout this, double bladder and dry suit, using a 6/94 mix, your argon. bottle free flows. cant inflate your dry suit, have 5 hours deco, your wing goes, theres 100 feet below you, how are you gunna get up. the other WING WOULD HELP NOW. haha, its all bout pratical, nothing is anithing diff, wit a dual wing, OMS doesnt create more drag, its nice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom