Double tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about a slob winder rigged up so he would not have to fish for it? Definitely not DIR but it could work. If he can still reach the isolator and one side the winder could go on the other.

not specifically directed at michael, but is there a dir stance on differently abled folks?

and while i personally think someone being able to do valve drills or whatever themselves is important, what if someone left their gear 'standard' and depended on the team to shut off a valve they couldn't reach?

not trying to stir any pots. genuinely interested in the answers.

Archangel:
Man, you are a trooper! Dont limit yourself. Be a testament to others. Practice reaching the left post with your arm. You will eventually get it!

Tevis:D

I appreciate it. I just want to be as safe as I can for myself and my dive buddy. I know if there are things I can't do and do safely, I won't attempt to do them at all.

Thanks for the kind words.

Michael

Gilldiver:
I doubt that this is DIR, but some will loosen the belly band/cumberbun by 4 or 5 inches and let the tanks slide up so the manifold is almost above your head. This should bring the knobs more into your reach range as instead of trying to reach in back of your head/shoulder area it is more reaching above and a little behind your head. Then just retighten your belly band/cumberbun.

It takes only a few seconds each way.

Being that I have one-arm, I don't really want to loosen anything up. The waist strap on my BP/W is hard enough (more time to do it than anything) to put on standing on the side of my tailgate, trying to get it on. (I know, I'll get help if I need it.) So I'd rather not loosen up anything. :wink:

Michael

JimC:
This would be my non-DIR suggestion too. If you seriously cannot reach backmount valves and are equally serious about cave diving sidemount is the logical choice.

But then I'd have to get rid of my BP/W right? I'm NOT going to do that... :wink:

I'll look into the side mount setup and see what's involved. I think I'd look funny in OW with side mounts on at 130'. :wink: Wreck penetration! :wink:

Michael

PerroneFord:
I'm not sure how easy it's going to be for him to clip on and manage the hose from his left side. It would be a heck of a lot easier to reach the left post valve than to reach the left hip right with his right hand to clip on or off a tank....

That's something I will test when I get into the water this weekend, be it the pool or ABWA. (Might go there tomorrow.) Maybe someone will have a set of doubles with them I can try. :wink:

Michael

JimLap:
What about a slob winder rigged up so he would not have to fish for it? Definitely not DIR but it could work. If he can still reach the isolator and one side the winder could go on the other.

slob winder? Are you calling me a slob???! :wink:

Not sure what that is, I'll definitely look that up!

I honestly thing I wouldn't have to much trouble reaching it. I just need to test it. Someone send me a doubles setup so I can. :wink:

Michael

BabyDuck:
not specifically directed at michael, but is there a dir stance on differently abled folks?

and while i personally think someone being able to do valve drills or whatever themselves is important, what if someone left their gear 'standard' and depended on the team to shut off a valve they couldn't reach?

not trying to stir any pots. genuinely interested in the answers.

Good question. I just figure if I can do everything else (think drills) that any able body person can do and my gear is configured in a fashion that reflects DIR, I feel that it's totally DIR. Regardless of handicap. Plus, everyone says to ask for help, if I couldn't shut it off myself... ohhh...I'd ask for HELPP!$!%# :wink:

Michael

mwhities:
I appreciate it. I just want to be as safe as I can for myself and my dive buddy. I know if there are things I can't do and do safely, I won't attempt to do them at all.

Thanks for the kind words.

Michael

Mike my dive brother, dont veer too off course with sidemounts, chingas that turn your valves for you.

(and I am not JJ, so with the following advice your mileage may vary) The reason for valve drills is VALVE FAILURE!

Heck man, go on and sit in your living room/watching TV with your doubles on (like the DIR dork we all are) and practice reaching your valves.

With a modicum of practice (loosening and tightening your harness. . .you will GET IT)

My friend, it is not for me to shut down your valve secondary to a left post failure, it is your primary responsibility, and then you signal me to check your work/fix.

So go on ahead and get spot on good with it!

Know dear one, that while you may have only have one arm, most (or all of us) here are barely holding on to reality and mentally twisty. . .

. . . . we have collectively spent the GDP of a moderately sized third world country on GEAR.

I added up what I have spent on gear and I have thrown into the doubles/rigs. . . scuba toilet what a Harley Fatboy would have cost.

So go on my one armed friend, get good at this and I would be honored to be your team mate!

I need to go diving to quiet the voices in my head:D

Happy Saturday everybody,

T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom