Double tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
There's no WAY I will ever do a complete drill with one hand. I can barely touch my SHOULDER with the opposite hand. You need much longer arms than I have to do it.

its not long arms. i've got short arms and don't look anything like AG. its flexibility...

Lamont, you are making me depressed. I've been patting myself on the back (as far as I can reach, anyway) about getting to my valves with the hand on the SAME side!

TSandM:
Lamont, you are making me depressed. I've been patting myself on the back (as far as I can reach, anyway) about getting to my valves with the hand on the SAME side!

just remember, its all downhill for me from here...

mwhities:
It might be awhile before I actually am able to dive doubles, actually looking at a set but, I was wondering if I could get a favor from any of you here. The taller the better (maybe).

I'm 6' 6" and I have a pretty good reach. With my single tank, I really have no issue in grabbing and turning off my tank valve. Also, I haven't practiced turning it off as a drill as I haven't made my buddy aware of it, yet.

With that thought in mind, I was wondering if I could get any of you to try and see if you can turn off (or do valve drills) the valves on your doubles setup with only your right arm. I guess that would be the main determining factor on whether or not I get a set of doubles. If no one will be able to, I may not get the doubles I'm looking at getting.

So please test that next time you are out if you will. Make sure your buddy knows just incase you get introuble. :wink:

Thanks,

Michael

You really haven't received much of a DIR answer here. Off the cuff, my answer would be that the risk reward profile of you going to doubles sucks. (Almost universally new cave/ deep divers are overwhelmed by the additional tasks placed on them with two hands.) Just enjoy going diving. The best rule of thumb I was ever taught was never do a cave/ deep dive with someone that doesn't enjoy and regularly do 40' reef dives. 99% of the time those that only do deep/ cave dives are in it for the wrong reason. Just enjoy single tank diving and hone your skills. You are years away from being ready for doubles. (Most people rush into it way too soon. Given your disadvantages that is an even worse idea for you than other divers.) So, as others have said, don't worry about it for now. And, FYI, slobwinders, sidemount, etc. will not be the DIR answer. An old benjamin manifold might be deemed acceptable (JJ still used one when I was cave certified), but I doubt it.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

I've decided that I'm not going to go to doubles. I can't anyways until my dive buddy decides to. What's the point of hauling around 100lbs of tanks when my buddy will only be carrying a lil 80 (of course, he can last an hour + with it). I'll just stick with my c100's or if I find a good deal, get a single 133 or something. (I think with my c100's, I last about as long as my buddy does.)

Now to figure out this weight thing and SMB thing.... off to another thread.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom