Double Tanks: What's your choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like most others:

Drysuit: twin PST 104's. (wife has LP 85's which are a lot lighter)

Wetsuit: twin AL80's

In both cases, dive a halcyon SS plate with 55lb explorer wing.

DSS rigs: one for single tank, and another for doubles
Luxfer twin sets: AL80 and Twin AL100
Worthington twin sets: X7-100, X8-119, X8-130
Highland Bands and hardware
OMS twin manifolds
OMS valves on independents
OxyCheq Expedition X O2 Analyzer
YvesAir continuous Trimix blender compressor with oxygen and helium feeds

twin worthington LP 85's, Dive Rite valves and manifold

why? they do'nt totally kill my back (i have a busted L1 vertebrae)

i do think (maybe it's wishful thinking) that i am getting better. if i
can confirm that in about a year or so, it's gonna be an upgrade for
me... probably 104's or equivalent

Dry, I love my 72s.

Wet, I tolerate my AL80s until I finally break down and buy smaller AL cylinders.

I use 200 bar Sea Elite manifolds. If I had it to do over, all of the manifolds would be 300 bar.

JulieParkhurst:
About 2 years ago he got me a set of twin OMS 45's and I have to tell you that I love diving them more than any single tank I have ever dove.

I saw some twin 45s on the OMS website a few weeks ago and they do look like they would be a lot of fun to dive with.

I have faber LP 85's, some old 2250psi 72's, a set of faber LP 120's and I also used doubled Catalina 80's and some Catalina "Compact" 100's

May first choice is the LP 85's, light enough to shore dive, gas em up a tad and you can get two dives comfortably.

The 72's are also very user friendly, light, inexpensive, easy to get full fills.

The doubled AL 80's are ok, but I broke down the set I had after only a few dives, the LP 85's are just a nicer set. The LP85 are just slightly negative empty ~-1 lbs IIRC instead of +4 for the AL 80's

The compact AL 3300 PSI 100's were a mistake. Large, heavy, harder to fill. I would not do it again.

The faber 120's are huge, and heavy. Pump em a bit and you have a LOT of gas. The size of the 120's is very noticeable in the water, atleast for me.

I recently picked up a pair of Faber LP 46's. I need to refurb the tanks, and I going to build up a set of mini doubles for my daughter (but she may not get to use them all the timeeyebrow ) I estimate they will be just about the same weight as a LP95.

I use a DSS backplate and wing (oddly enough) Usually with either a 45 lbs Torus or a LCD 50 wing. I also have a prototype 40 LBS Torus that I use occassionally with the 85's / 72's.

Regards,

Tobin

I dove lp85s for years. As soon as I needed bigger I went to a rebreather. Now I dive double LP 19s. Still like the 85s though.

very recently started 95's & man are they heavy. i'll be a wiry stick insect in a few months from hauling them around. i don't have a doubles wing yet, so mainly borrowed classics so far. gotta get one of my own, though...

Back
Top Bottom