Double PST E-7 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubazach

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experiecne diving these tanks as doubles? I have two tanks but am wondering if their short stature may cause a trim issue. I am 5'10'' around 160 if that helps at all. Also this is my first set of double (if I double them) and I will be diving dry
Thanks -

The closest thing I can comment on is a cousin of those tanks. I dive double E-7 120s. They tend to orient the diver very much head down.

Once I changed around the location of the weight on the tank, hanging it from the bottom bolt rather than between the bolts behind the backplate, and upon moving my wings up a notch compared to the default (I had to actually have an additional set of holes added about 1.25" above where it came from the factory), I no longer have this problem.

I would guess, though I can't say for sure, that shorter tanks might even make this more prounounced. I am about 5"9".

scubazach:
Does anyone have any experiecne diving these tanks as doubles? I have two tanks but am wondering if their short stature may cause a trim issue. I am 5'10'' around 160 if that helps at all. Also this is my first set of double (if I double them) and I will be diving dry
Thanks -
Don't think you'd be too happy with them. I've not dived them but I've dived the PST E8-119s, which are even longer than the E7-80s. They're still too short for me, and I'm 5'11". Short tanks (where you can still reach the valves) put enough weight high over your shoulders that its difficult to compensate for it with leg position, fins, etc. You tend to do an endo, head first. It helps if you have experience with other doubles, or make liberal use of trim weights. Still, unless you're extremely short I suspect you'd do better with longer tanks. FWIW. YMMV.

PSI tank length comparison chart:
http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/PST E Series Tanks.htm

Clue:
http://www.russialink.org.uk/kursk/

I don't know anyone with the "E-7" 80's, but I dive with 3 guys that have the PST LP 80's doubled up and all of the guys love them. They can still be found at a lot of places for under $200. Good luck!

i have double E7-80's and they are alright, i like my 104's alot better for trim, but i got them for my girlfriend at the time. When i first started with them i was a little head heavy, but after a little practice i compensated for it. I only use them once in awhile so they do kinda bug me (like im always thinking about it during the dive). but they are awesome for being lightweight and small. If i had to do it over again i would prob sell these for another set of 104's or E8130's Their bigger on land but alot nicer at depth. However for a shorter person they might work out well (the girlfriend was only 5 foot 2 and they matched her pretty well, plus they were the only doubles she could lift)

kurt

i would suggest keeping those for nice small singles and getting a bigger set for doubles. Once you get into deeper diving your going to perfer more gas than 160 cuft as well.

I have a twinned set of pst 80's. My first doubles and I love em. I find them very stable underwater and the extra gas is great. I am 5'11" 180# I can reach the valves ok but maybe I am just flexible enough to contort.?? The only problem I have and is easy to fix is I have the back mounted weight between the cylinders and it sometimes is hard to turn over once fins are removed. Kinda like a turtle on their back.lol. If I had a weight belt, problem solved. Just lack of extra $$ stopping me from switching. A dive buddy has twin pst 119 and he loves his, so guess to each their own.
Les

Don't want to hijack this thread, but so many with PST E-7 80's have responded....Is anyone else having trouble with blowing thru O-rings on these tanks? It seems I am replacing O-rings about every 3 dives or so.

Never for me. are you running yoke or din. I have din and never had a blowout in my owning them about 1 1/2 yrs (78 dives)

My 4 E7-80s have had no issues with O-rings or other wise. Which O ring? I dive mine as DIN and put the inserts in for fills.

The use of these as doubles comes up from time to time. The dominant experience is that they are too short to trim out. Like everything else scuba they work fine for some divers.

I'm 5-9, my wife is shorter and we're both very happy with them as singles.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom