Double HP 80's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackass

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone in the 5'8'' to 5'11'' range had luck doubling up high pressure steel 80's?

I bought a set of doubles awhile back with the intention of splitting them apart, which I did. Now, after yesterday's great response in the "Doubles for Recreation" thread, you have me wondering if doubling hp 80's can work.

I have heard that they make you too head heavy, but I am wondering if anyone has had any success?

I have heard that they make you too head heavy, but I am wondering if anyone has had any success?

I have not tried but I do own some of those cylinders and making you head heavy is the common concern that I have read.

When diving them as singles are you still needing to use any trim weights up on your back? That is my case and I'm thinking that if I had a pair doubled it would just mean shifting some of that trim weight down lower after eliminating some for the negative buoyancy.

FWIW I'm 5'-9"

Okay. Via some p.m.'s, etc. It was a semi stupid question.

For most of you out there considering this, like I was. You are most likely trying to MAKE something work. If you are going to dive doubles, do it right, not half assed. Buy tanks that will do the job well. Either sell your 80's, or keep them as singles.

Anyone want to buy some hp 80's?:D

I have hp 80's, I'm 5'7" and they have worked well for me. I've had them doubled up since I bought them in 2000. I recently had the isolator valve removed to use them as independent doubles. I dove last week with a hp 80 and a Worthington 40 both tanks mounted on my back with velcro doubles bands and like the set up a lot, I like the negative buoyancy (hp 80's -9.0 lbs full -3.0 lbs empty) (steel 40's -6.3 lbs full -3.3 lbs empty) they are nice for my drysuit and my thick wetsuits that we need here in Michigan. I do use ankle weights with my drysuit.

Okay. Via some p.m.'s, etc. It was a semi stupid question.

For most of you out there considering this, like I was. You are most likely trying to MAKE something work. If you are going to dive doubles, do it right, not half assed. Buy tanks that will do the job well. Either sell your 80's, or keep them as singles.

Anyone want to buy some hp 80's?:D

Beware of broad brush statements made without knowledge of the application. Everyone's adaptation is unique and there are without a doubt individuals for whom these would be a splendid rig.

Has anyone in the 5'8'' to 5'11'' range had luck doubling up high pressure steel 80's?

I bought a set of doubles awhile back with the intention of splitting them apart, which I did. Now, after yesterday's great response in the "Doubles for Recreation" thread, you have me wondering if doubling hp 80's can work.

I have heard that they make you too head heavy, but I am wondering if anyone has had any success?[/QUOTE]

And hp 80's don't work because......?

I'm not quite in the same boat as you as I'm 6'1 and dive double hp 100's. They do make me quite head heavy, but a pair of 2lb ankle weights around the bottom tank band bolt sorted that all out. I personally wouldn't dive hp 80's simply because all the weight of the tanks would be way to high on my body. If you're 5'8 and looking for a relatively light weight rig (double hp 80 would be about 13lbs lighter than my 100's when full) they could work out great for you.

Not knowing where slc is, I don't know what exposure gear your using. If you're diving in a thin wetsuit you may want to consider different tanks.

Beware of broad brush statements made without knowledge of the application. Everyone's adaptation is unique and there are without a doubt individuals for whom these would be a splendid rig.

Good point. I was basically forwarding the advice that people gave me. What the hell, maybe I will try them, I guess I don't have much to lose...

slc= Salt Lake City

It takes a lot of weight to dive in the Great Salt Lake:wink:...

Might I suggest that before you decide to manifold these, (this could be suggested for any set of bottles anyone wants to double) first, dive them as independent doubles first to see if they feel right. You could save yourself a lot of trouble if it does not work out.

c

It sounds like the OP got them already manifolded but independent doubles to experiment is my plan.

I have a set and love them.

Great for putzing about in the lake when dry suit diving.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom