double hose regulators...what happened?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't remember which was the actual first regulator in my mouth but my initial training was with both single and double hose (a Calypso and a DA). For 99% of my diving, I still slightly prefer a double hose, even on "tech" dives. About the only time I don't dive a double hose is when I am packing real light.

I think a lot of people first saw a single hose regulator (in the late '60s and early '70s) on "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and thought it was the latest and greatest and had to have one.

If a 6 year old can do it, you can!

Dennis2copy.jpg

Spider Man shorts are extra.

But, if you are not carefull, this may happen:

TwinsandRegs.jpg

Its like Drugs, once you start, you may not be able to stop.

If a 6 year old can do it, you can!

Dennis2copy.jpg

Spider Man shorts are extra.

But, if you are not carefull, this may happen:

TwinsandRegs.jpg

Its like Drugs, once you start, you may not be able to stop.

Oh man!
That's like waving a juicy steak in front of a dog that hasn't eaten in a week.
You're heartless!

But Pete, OMG, that old gear will kill you...harumph harumph blah blah blah cover yourself in d-rings blah blah split fins blah blah DIR blah blah dive shop blah blah technicians blah blah....

Your kid looks super cool BTW. I'm jealous, he has a super cool dad!

The no-bubbles-in-the-face part is really great, and I find my mask leaks less, probably due to it not getting pounded by bubbles. There is a real difference in the way double hose and single hose regs breathe, but that's also part of the appeal.

I wonder what legal hurdles would have to be negotiated to begin manufacturing and marketing new reproduction Aqua-Masters, Mistrals and Fifty Fathoms? And would they sell?

Some people dive full vintage, some of us just happen to prefer a twinhose:

IMG_1345_edited-2.jpg

N

I wonder what legal hurdles would have to be negotiated to begin manufacturing and marketing new reproduction Aqua-Masters, Mistrals and Fifty Fathoms? And would they sell?

You should really head over to vintagedoublehose.com and check out the phoenix nozzle, and other parts for restoring vintage double hose regs.

In short, it's more fun to rebuild and dive the originals than it would be to spend a fortune on a reissued double hose. Plus, aqualung had a shot when they brought out the new mistral (isn't that what it was called?) and that did not go so well.

The Mistral (new version) was just plain a poor performer. I do not own one, but I borrowed one and tried it. The original Mistral, which by the way was a single stage reg could blow it away. Both the DA Aquamaster and Royal Aquamaster were better. Heck, I've got a Divair Model B from around '56. I use it with USD hoses and a good old curved mouth piece and that would be preferable to the new Mistral!

What I was talking about was reproductions of the originals, made the same way as the originals, perhaps with HP and LP ports added like in the Phoenix nozzle.

Back
Top Bottom