Double D Diving in Austin, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daveninja

Reaction score
Hey Y'All,

I don't normally do this, but I'd like some opinions on what happened to me yesterday (July 4th).

My wife and I decided it would be a great day to dive at Windy Point yesterday, seeing as we both had the whole day off from work. I started to call all the local shops in the area to rent some tanks for us, but none were open at that time (around 11). Finally, the LAST place I called had some and I went promptly on my way to pick them up.

It was the last place I called for a reason. Even though its probably the closest one to where I live, Double D Diving off Spicewood Springs Road always seemed a little less than friendly, the shop was always old and dirty looking, and there was never anyone in there. The owner always creeped out my wife too, so we pretty much stayed away.

But beggars can't be choosers so I picked up the tanks, and off we went.

First dive and everything was great. The lake levels were way up so that the water was coming over onto the yard. The water was so warm, that we went down to 65 feet without a problem (our deepest dive so far!). It was pretty clear around 35 feet too, so that was nice.

When we got back up, I immediately went to get the tanks refilled. Surprise! They were both 4 months past the last needed visual inspection. The guy said he was sorry but he could not fill them. I told him I understood perfectly and that it wasn't him that I was upset at.

So today I go to the shop to drop off my tanks and get my money back. First I tell him that they are 4 months out. All he says is that he's sorry about that. I told him I'd like my money back. He asked me why. I told him because this was a safety issue, that he should never have rented these tanks like this. He told me that visual inspection is a service they do at the shop and these must have slipped through the cracks.

I reiterated my request. He said that he doesn't give refunds, and that since I used the air inside them, he could give me $2 store credit per tank ($8 rental minus $6 air fill). At this point I let him know that I would never have rented from him in the first place if he hadn't been the only one open because his store was decrepit. I told him I'd never be back, to which he told me "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out."

So tell me, was I being unreasonable asking for my money back?

When I told him it was a safety issue, he told me that visuals is something the industry does on its own. So?

you need to remember that you are also responsible for ensuring that the gear you use is safe. IOW, when renting tanks, you the diver should check the hydro and vis markings to be sure that they are good to go. And if out of date like you described, settling the issue before you leave the store. Just like if you were diving Nitrox, you the diver are responsible for analyzing the mix before you accept the cylinder.

When you left the store "accepting" the cylinders as they were...the liability question bounced into your court, not the shop's.

However, I do agree that the store's approach to customer service could use some improvement. ($15-20 refund is cheep "advertising" when all businesses rely on customer good will).

I'd take this as a lesson learned and come away from it the wiser diver.

You're absolutely right. And its probably better to happen to me while I was in Austin and close to home than away somewhere on some major trip or something.

Sad to say, but being so new, I actually learned a lot about tank inspection. I never could quite remember how often a hydro test or visual inspection had to be done. Now I got it memorized!

So yeah, definitely some important things to learn, and the sooner the better. In a way, I guess I should thank him. .

..Nah!

Thanx for the reply!

I can't believe he even has a shop. You can't run a business like that and still make money. He'll put himself out of business. Hopefully before he hurts someone.

One option is to report him to the BBB and to whomever samples his air. I'm sure they would like to know that he is sending out air in outdated tanks. Maybe that will wake him up. Were you trying to get refills at Windy Point?:doctor:

Originally posted by TexasMike . Just like if you were diving Nitrox, you the diver are responsible for analyzing the mix before you accept the cylinder.

Please explain to my how I analyze my nitrox mix. Do I need a special analyzer? Do most dive computers do the analysis?:confused:

Originally posted by ScubaCRNA
Please explain to my how I analyze my nitrox mix. Do I need a special analyzer? Do most dive computers do the analysis?:confused:
By your asking this question, I am probably safe in guessing that you have yet to dake your basic nitrox course. When you take your basic Nitrox diver course, use of an analyzer is covered.

Yes, there are analyzers that you use to determine the percentage of oxygen that is in the mix.

The reason the diver is responsible for analyzing the mix before the "accept" the cylinder is to ensure that all is correct. Since many gasses used in diving are odorless, how do you know what's in the tank unless you analyze it? What if the cylinder contains a gas that is not meant for breathing? And remebember, breathing the wrong nitrox mix for a particular depth can cause serious harm including death.

Dive computers are not built to handle the analysis (though that would be a nice add-on). They are designed to track your O2 exposure over time and depth (this is also covered in the Nitrox course)

Prices for analyzers range from reasonable to the extravagant. If you'd like, I can get put you in touch with a distributor that can provide a very rugged and easy to use Analyzer for around $200.00

ScubaCRNA,

If the LDS sells Nitrox, they'll have an analyser you can use. There are differences in how various analysers work, but the shop should be able to show you. You want to test the mix BEFORE you leave the shop.

As TM said this is covered in the Nitrox classes. The class will also teach you how to choose which mix to use. It's a good primer on basic gas theory.

Back to the original topic of this thread - I agree what a jerk!!!

Yes, it's your life so it's your responsibility to ensure your gear is safe. But the truth is that there are alot of folks new to diving that may not know everything they should. (pick any thread on OW certification standards for back-up data) It's reasonable to expect a business specializing in Scuba to provide tanks that are current on all inspections.

Don't let it burst your bubble, just chalk it up to experience. And keep this in mind ANYTIME you're using equipment you don't own or are relying on somebody else's judgement (nah, it's not a dangerous dive). It is your life you are endagering when you're down there blowing bubbles.

Correct, I have yet to take my Nitrox course. That is on my agenda for this year. I have been reading on nitrox and the various mixes and the advantages of using nitrox but I didn't consider the need to analyze the mix myself.....which I would consider a good idea since I would be breathing the mix. I purchased the NOAA 4th edition Diving Manual which has an excellent section on Nitrox. Being an anesthesia provider I analyze my gases continuously with each patient to be sure they are not getting a hypoxic mixture. I just figured that if I get nitrox from a certified nitrox dealer then I'd get the mix I ordered. One could argue that, technically, one should analyze the 0.21FiO2 they get in a standard fill is correct also but I'm sure no one ever does that. Or I should say I've never heard of anyone analyzing their standard fill.

Texas Mike, I'd like the hook up you offered. I'd like to consider my own analyzer. Thanks.:)

fyi i have learned my lesson on this issue. I bought a brand new tank at my favorite dive shop in Houston. when i stopped somewhere else the next week to get a fill they would not fill as only the year was stamped not the month. after taking tank back to where i bought it, they apologized and gave me new sticker plus free refill. they verified this is correct practice. so check the sticker even on a new tank.

Back
Top Bottom