Double bolt snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in too deep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As a new sm diver I was thinking about tank trim.
Has anyone tried 2 bolt snaps on each tank, 1 snapped to a butt plate and the other to a waist d ring.
My thinking is this would stop the the tank from hanging to low and from floating when low on gas, also would it minimize the torque needed from the chest bungee.
I realize divers are moving the single snap to account for this.

Thanks.
Looks like a great idea
I wonder why it hasn’t been adopted

There is a reluctance to have metal-to-metal connections, just in case things seize up and you need to remove a cylinder. You could probably accomplish the same thing with two single clips; one on a short cord, the other on a longer cord.

Except that the bottle clip is already attached by some cord, inattentive clickers

A version of your other conglomeration may well be invented and called a leash

Except that the bottle clip is already attached by a cord
OK, I see that now, barely, blown-up and slowed down. Terrible video.

Metal to metal is supposed to be gone, replaced by cuttable stuff for all bottles

Metal was gone when I was using metal to metal 20+ years ago on reels as well

As a new sm diver I was thinking about tank trim.
Has anyone tried 2 bolt snaps on each tank, 1 snapped to a butt plate and the other to a waist d ring.
My thinking is this would stop the the tank from hanging to low and from floating when low on gas, also would it minimize the torque needed from the chest bungee.
I realize divers are moving the single snap to account for this.

That's an interesting thought.

Doesn't that just complicate the rigging of your tank to save a couple seconds on a D-ring swap you have to do once a dive? Would the triangle gap the rigging makes present a minor tangling hazard or would it be relatively the same?

If I wanted to pull one of my tanks in front of me it is a single motion. I can swing my arm back and swing the tank forwards. With a double D ring system like that you would probably have to reach a hand down on the underside of the tank. The tank itself could make that annoying.

I don't think the benefit would be worth changing up what is pretty simple already. Honestly though I am not too experienced with SM. I have never dove SM with Aluminum tanks. I just added waist D-rings to my SMS75 to experiment though.

I will be interested to see what some of the very experienced people have to say.

I've seen it done with the second clip on a long bungee, wrapped all the way around the tank then the two sides clipped together in front of the diver or to the crotch D-ring. Anything that makes it difficult to put my arm between my body and the tank is a no go for me.

Back
Top Bottom