double bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn:
I think the DIR solution would be AL80 stages.
Ok that makes some sense.

Lane Zimmer:
3) What kind of dive is a person doing where you need that much gas? If they're doing a dive that requires that much, they're more than likely going to need to do a significant amount of deco. A drysuit is a better option considering the amount of exposure for such a dive. If someone needs that much gas for a little 100ft dive, then a treadmill would be a good option.

Why are you thinking im talking about 100ft dive, i am in the tropics i dont need more than a 3mm suit, even for a 180 foot dive with total time in the water 60-70minutes, like i said think outside the box you are just thinking about this from your point of reference.

BTW Its around 81-82 at the bottom, and over a 100 on deck, I would be cooked before getting in the water.

Albion:
Ok that makes some sense.

Why are you thinking im talking about 100ft dive, i am in the tropics i dont need more than a 3mm suit, even for a 180 foot dive with total time in the water 60-70minutes, like i said think outside the box you are just thinking about this from your point of reference.

BTW Its around 81-82 at the bottom, and over a 100 on deck, I would be cooked before getting in the water.

I also think it boils down to personal preference. I'm a wimp when it comes to cold water, even though we do a bunch of diving in 41 degree water. On the other hand, I get cold in a 3mm in 80 degree water, so I guess it depends on length of exposure and body type.

Albion:

That particular dive can easily be done with a set of 80s and a 40 filled with 50%. You could even extend your bottom time more by adding an 80 stage, all while being completely balanced. You don't need larger doulbes (AL or steel), DB wings or any of this other nonsense.

As far as thinking outside the box, I'd rather just use common sense and think things through.

"Divers using dual BCs have experienced an array of problems....There is never a need for "redundant buoyancy".....The DIR approach avoids the use of dual BCs..."

Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Good Diving p 70-71

Pretty clear to me.

Otter:
Pretty clear to me.
It was pretty clear to most people

Otter:
"Divers using dual BCs have experienced an array of problems....There is never a need for "redundant buoyancy".....The DIR approach avoids the use of dual BCs..."
Ok so I'm bordering between a troll and devils advocate here, but it is a smug answer which explains nothing, what problems?

Albion:
Ok so I'm bordering between a troll and devils advocate here, but it is a smug answer which explains nothing, what problems?
Stick to the Devils advocate, I like you better that way :wink:

I wouldn't say that it was a smug answer, There were at least two posts on the first page that referred to the "Fundamentals book" as saying double wings were acceptable. This of course is complete BS. On the second page I references two chapters that clarified this, After my post the discussion quickly turned to "balanced rigs".

Otter:

Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Good Diving p 70-71

Pretty clear to me

This is the first post that actually displays the correct information from the text to which was originally referred to.

From a DIR point of view Double wings are not acceptable, thats clear, as far as how to get a dive done that requiers more gas than double 80's without using a dry suit the only answer is an 80 stage.

Serious question here….
I thought part of the DIR philosophy was to not do something because you are told, but to understand the reasoning behind it. So where is the reasoning behind it? Saying “Divers using dual BCs have experienced an array of problems” doesn’t address the why’s of anything.

Jason

Jason B:
Serious question here….
I thought part of the DIR philosophy was to not do something because you are told, but to understand the reasoning behind it. So where is the reasoning behind it? Saying “Divers using dual BCs have experienced an array of problems” doesn’t address the why’s of anything.

Jason

The fundamentals book does go over why you dont need dual BC's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom