double bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StSomewhere:
Sort of back on topic, then is using a single E7-100 with an aluminum bp and a 3mm suit not DIR? That should be only 10 lbs negative with a full tank, minus the wetsuit buoyancy, correct? How much leeway is there in terms of negative buoyancy for a balanced rig and the weight of gas in the full tank?
As I understand it, it's DIR if a failure of your buoyancy system won't kill you. Makes sense right?

If you can swim the thing up from depth with a total buoyancy failure, then it's OK. And I doubt you would have too much trouble swimming a full E7-100 from depth with a 3mm wetsuit.

StSomewhere:
Feel free to correct me if I'm misunderstanding this. I haven't taken the IANTD Adv EANx (yet), but if I understand the standards and procedures for Adv EANx you have to deploy the lift bag as an ascent platform (ascent line). The tech course does have you demonstrate using a lift bag as an emergency BCD, but only to demonstrate that its not suitable as a redundant BCD. http://www.iantd.com/standards/IANTD_Standards_2003.pdf

[off-topic]
I don't know the IANTD standards very well. I just know what I had to learn, which included lifting yourself from the bottom (wing empty) with the dsmb in the hand, reeling your way up on it and using it on the surface to remain positive with an empty wing. In addition to using it as an ascent platform, of course. From what I hear IANTD instructors have a lot of leeway with some elements of the standards. It's probably different from one instructor to the other.
[/off-topic]

StSomewhere:
http://www.iantd.com/standards/IANTD_Standards_2003.pdf

Sort of back on topic, then is using a single E7-100 with an aluminum bp and a 3mm suit not DIR? That should be only 10 lbs negative with a full tank, minus the wetsuit buoyancy, correct? How much leeway is there in terms of negative buoyancy for a balanced rig and the weight of gas in the full tank?

This was my rig for both fundamentals and triox. I asked the intructors about it. Both had no problems with my rig on this issue.

Diver0001:
The DIR answer to this would be that double-bladder wings add extra complexity (and maybe extra potential failure points) without really solving any problems. If you need redundant buoyancy then the method to achieve that with the least complexity is to use a drysuit. If you can't use a drysuit then the answer is to remove the need for redundant buoyancy by balancing the rig, again the least complex answer.
R..
Why over complicate things unless there is a need, true. however if the second bladder is not needed unless there is a fialure on the primary it is not a failur epoint if managed correctly

Lane Zimmer:
If a failed inflator caused a runaway ascent, maybe that person should spend some more time in the pool.
Not my words but what was previously given to me in this forum as too why not use double bladder

Lane Zimmer:
Granted, warm temperatures do not make drysiuts very appealing. If it's that warm, use a different setup. It is not required that you use steel doubles. A wetsuit and double AL 80's make a great warm water setup.
Yes they do, but what if i want to use large capacity Alum tanks, which conceivably i could swim up but would also like to have a reserve bladder to make the dive safer?

Lane Zimmer:
DB wings serve no purpose and solve problems that shouldn't exist in the first place.
Think outside the box for a change.

Right better get back under the bridge now.

Albion:
Why over complicate things unless there is a need, true. however if the second bladder is not needed unless there is a fialure on the primary it is not a failur epoint if managed correctly

Not my words but what was previously given to me in this forum as too why not use double bladder

Yes they do, but what if i want to use large capacity Alum tanks, which conceivably i could swim up but would also like to have a reserve bladder to make the dive safer?

1) The second bladder still serves no purpose when the primary functions properly. No need to "manage" it.

2) You got BS information, sorry.

3) What kind of dive is a person doing where you need that much gas? If they're doing a dive that requires that much, they're more than likely going to need to do a significant amount of deco. A drysuit is a better option considering the amount of exposure for such a dive. If someone needs that much gas for a little 100ft dive, then a treadmill would be a good option.

4) I'd rather just use common sense.

Albion:

I think the DIR solution would be AL80 stages.

3) What kind of dive is a person doing where you need that much gas? If they're doing a dive that requires that much, they're more than likely going to need to do a significant amount of deco. A drysuit is a better option considering the amount of exposure for such a dive. If someone needs that much gas for a little 100ft dive, then a treadmill would be a good option.

Have you ever dove a drysuit in 85 degree water? I am pretty sure you would be *****ing the entire time, thus making the dive no fun.

BigBoB:

Have you ever dove a drysuit in 85 degree water? I am pretty sure you would be *****ing the entire time, thus making the dive no fun.
85 through the entire water column???? Maybe...but I doubt it. Its still below your body temp.

I know people that did their Cave 1 in 75 deg water...and they had to use a drysuit due to the runtimes they were doing.

JeffG:
85 through the entire water column???? Maybe...but I doubt it. Its still below your body temp.

I know people that did their Cave 1 in 75 deg water...and they had to use a drysuit due to the runtimes they were doing.

Down to about 175ft it stays 83-85 degrees. Below that it drops a bit but I have never been uncomfortable in a 3mm.

BigBoB:

I've done many, many hours of skills work in a pool that's 82 year round. TLS350 and DUI's actionwear 150 gets the job done. I don't wear a hood and when I come out the undergarments are dry. It can be done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom