double bladder wing / good or bad???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Icarusflies

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hell all;

What do you guys think about double bladder wings when diving doubles without a drysuit. I heard from people that it is not a good idea (i don't know why) and that a SMB can be used as a redundancy for flotation in case the bladder fails.

What do you think?

It would take me to long to explain all the reasons to not use one so the short answer is no. If you use aluminum tanks you should be able to swim them up.

with steel doubles and no drysuit I would consider a redundant bladder mandatory, the smb might be considered as a backup to the backup.

Depends on the context. I have used two wings to solve this problem. While FAR from ideal, it's what I had to do. One of my dive buddies has used the double bladder. I don't care for them, but thats just the way life is sometimes.

stevead:
with steel doubles and no drysuit I would consider a redundant bladder mandatory...

Agreed.

PerroneFord:
Depends on the context. I have used two wings to solve this problem. While FAR from ideal, it's what I had to do. One of my dive buddies has used the double bladder. I don't care for them, but thats just the way life is sometimes.

Also agreed.

UWupnorth:
...If you use aluminum tanks you should be able to swim them up.

I agree with this part, as well. This assumes of course that your weighting is tuned properly.

When you incur a deco obligation, your life now depends on all your systems functioning. Since anything can always fail at any time, you need redundancy built into your system. A dual bladder wing, or a double wing, or a drysuit in conjuction with your wing, or aluminum tanks which become positively buoyant near the end of your dive, all serve as the necessary redundancy for your primary wing. Some better than the others.

considering that up north and I are mutually contradicting and both right, I'll elaborate. If your overall rig is likely to get you significantly negative, ie double steels and a 3mm wetsuit, even with no lead you'd sink like a brick with an empty wing. Therefore redundant bouyancy is a must. If, on the other hand you've got a "balanced rig" and the weight of your gear just counters the bouyancy of your suit then redundancy becomes much more optional. The only 100% right answer to your question is "It depends".

Icarusflies:
Hell all;

What do you guys think about double bladder wings when diving doubles without a drysuit. I heard from people that it is not a good idea (i don't know why) and that a SMB can be used as a redundancy for flotation in case the bladder fails.

What do you think?

If diving (i) in a wetsuit and (ii) multiple stage decompression diving then theres a possible use for it.

If you aren't doing the above, there isn't.

Also dual bladder tend to be on HUGE wings, far far too big for single tank diving.

Thank you all;

I ll be diving with double steel tanks with a wet suit so I ll get a double baldder. The size should be managable. Any recomendation about a good double bladder wing?

Honestly, if you're going to go this route, I'd recommend you get two wings. That way, you can use them seperately later, or sell one off later. Also if you are protecting against wing failure from puncture or abrasion, it's quite likely that whatever punctures the first will also puncture the second quite easily.

But, the double bladder wing that I saw used was a Dive Rite. For what it's worth.

Back
Top Bottom