double bladder wing / good or bad???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the feedback. The idea of two independent wings is interesting and even though it would be the perfect redundancy system I am afraid that it will be quite cumbersome. Of course the safest proposal here with a wetsuit is diving double AL80. The problem with this configuration is that I usually do two dives and the 2 X AL80 will go fast in a deep dive and leave me with no much air for the second dive. This is the main reason for wanting to go for bigger steel tanks. The dry suit is nice but in the Floridian summer is a hassle. A good proposal I read in the thread was to sling an AL80 in the second dive for added air when diving double AL80.

Anyway, I am all for safety but what one of the posters said is very true. In case of puncture it is likely that the second bladder is also going to be compromised.

My confusion had to do with the inflator hose for the backup...So...Who hooks up both wings/adds an extra inflator hose and connects it via a reverse configuration for the backup, and who of you, as PerroneFord stated, doesn't hook up the backup initially and either orally inflates or switches out if necessary? Like I stated, this has been a very informative and interesting thread...Thanks all...

I'm a dbl bladder guy. I leave the backup routed but unconnected:D

I dive the Oxycheq dual bladder wing. It's not a huge wing and is pretty streamlined. I haven't tried the 2 wing thing, but I don't think it would be as streamlined as my dual bladder wing.

I dive dry half the time and wet the other half. It just depends on what the air temp is. I also dive caves, so I don't carry a lift bag with me. I'd rather carry the redundancy on my back than clipped onto me somewhere. And I can swim my rig to the surface with an empty wing. But it would be a helluva long swim from 1500 feet in a cave with no buoyancy control.

Back
Top Bottom