double 104 bladders ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirtydon

Reaction score
when diving doubles(104s) lp tanks what do do where for weight& bladders . no weights but bladdder totlels?? going to start tec classes in the fall. dry suit bare trilan tech. asking for help before starting class ... thank you

Okay, if you are diving double 104's with a Tri-Lam, which I think is what you are saying, you don't need any weight (provided you know how to trim your tanks properly). If you are diving double 104's with a thick neoprene drysuit, you may need some weight. I consider my drysuit redundant buoyancy. So I go with a single bladder wing or bc.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a buoyancy calculator in the Buoyancy section.

A 55 pound wing will be just right. 40lb wings don't really cut it , and anything past 60lbs is overkill.

You might need to add weight, or you might not, it depends on your undergarment, brand of tanks, and (believe it or not) how much helium is in your gas. Even with a steel plate, I need a bit of weight to be proper with anything past 45% helium. YMMV, and I suggest actually testing it and not relying on tallying weights listed on websites.

You need only enough lift to off set the gas you breath and keep you buoyant with all you crap (i.e. if you're breathing air from doubled 104s your going to use ~16 #'s of air). So if you hop in the water with all your crap and empty tanks and are slightly buoyant, which is possible in salt but not likely, you'd only need a 16 # bladder for doubled 104's.

Basically all I'm trying to show is to often beginning tec divers go out and buy the biggest wing they can find and it serves NO purpose.

PfcAJ hit it right, a 55# will do well in salt and fresh water for 98% of all diving.

FABER hundreds, DIN isolator, just realised after ten years OMS manifold, with dual steel fifty milimetre made by me better than factory bands supported by a ZEAGLE RANGER with a FOURTY FOUR pound wing is PERFECT for ME.
According to the in the ocean wearing the stuff buoyancy calculator.

I dive double faber 117 with Fusion tech, Fusion Mk 2 UW over a polypropylene top and full legged bottom, Zeagle BP/W (65 lbs) and no weight

Greetings dirtydon and congratulations on your entering more advanced training!
The transition is not as difficult as one thinks but the buoyancy calculator is a big help.
104's seem really heavy but the 55 -60 lbs lift wings do very nicely.
I dive a Dive Rite Classic 360 that been on 95's, HP 100's, 104's, 119's, 108's..... the list goes on. My point is do the math and buy a wing. It is just that simple.
There are many choices but the double bladder thing is over kill IMO! They are more $$$ and more trouble.

Take your time with the transition to learn proper trim adjustment and gain your experience slowly. The first few dives can be taxing just getting to and from the water!
Once you are in the water doubles are awesome! Personally I would never dive single tanks again if I had to choose.
Propulsion, fin technique will be an adjustment as more mass is added it takes more thrust. I had to select a blade fin and learn proper mechanics which has made diving incredible.

Have fun do lots of research and train with the doubles. I am suggesting the GUE Doing It Rite The Fundamentals of Better Diving book. It is a good outline of the what and why's that go along with diving doubles. As with any new direction in diving read, research and ask many questions. The only stupid question is the one you never asked. Good luck, PM me anytime you like.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

thanks for the help .i'll check out the bouy calc. looking forword for the new training .

Back
Top Bottom