DOT final rule on 6351 cylylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy,
I found the thread about that incident. It was an aluminum cylinder of the 6061 flavor. Apparently there was was some fragmentation of the tank as Curt mentions something about the valve missing and not being found.

Looking at the exemption for the E-13483 cylinders it seems that manufcaturers are required to go to substantial lengths to produce "safe" tanks.

While hydro shops are supposed to be doing visuals, the reality is they aren't. I have stood in the largest (non-gas supplier) hydro facility in the Northwest and waited for service (I was buying used industrial cylinders). The boss was at lunch so I had to wait.

I saw about 250-300 cylinders Al and steel, get hydroed by various staff, nobody looked inside any of them. Its on the books, but from a practical standpoint hydro shops are not visualing cylinders.

And those monkeys have a hard enough time running their own equipment. The thought of them operating an eddy current tester too makes me shudder.

Could be that the viz and eddy were done after the tanks were dry following the hydro???

Rick Murchison:
If you have concerns about 6351 tanks just send 'em to me for disposal, and I'll take the worry away... free of charge. :)
Rick Murchison
4256 Lomac
Montgomery, AL 36106

LOL, I made that same offer months ago. Last time the 6351 issue was being discussed, lots of divers were saying that they had 6351 tanks, but would never use them again. What a joke. I even offered to pay shipping. Nobody PMed me. I guess alot of divers like to bash these tanks, but still believe in them and use them.

On another note, I had 2 of my 6351 tanks with me on my last dive trip. When they needed to be filled, I asked the closest dive shop if they fill those. The owner's response was, 'No, those are the tanks that they condemned becuase the metal was bad.' His shop, his chioce. I said, "thanks, have a nice day", and went to a more intelligent shop.

FD

If you are in Florida and don't want to sent the tanks to Rick, you can send them to me. I will help Rick in taking care of your problems.

Back
Top Bottom