DOT final rule on 6351 cylylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leadking:
All cylinders are designed to LBB, Leak Before Burst. Cylinders fail all the time, but do so in a safe manner.

I agree. From pictures I've seen as well as an actual tank that failed it also seems as though the tanks fail pretty much intact in regards to shrapnel or fragmentation, even with a very dramatic failure. I'm sure there are cases in which fragmentation occurs to some degree.

I still have 2 old alum tanks, I ONLY found one LDS to fill them. both passed hydros in last 2 yrs.....

i took an 80 to a padi 5 star 2 wks ago, and they pronounced the tank DEAD.

(the dive shop that will fill them is not my 1st or 2nd choice for diveshops...)

-something to think about if you travel with the old tanks....

If you have concerns about 6351 tanks just send 'em to me for disposal, and I'll take the worry away... free of charge. :)
Rick Murchison
4256 Lomac
Montgomery, AL 36106

jbd:
ClayJar---thanks for saving my stomach from the gallon of coffee:D and my eyes from the strain of all that reading.
Add this:
The Hydro stamp will have a "VE" added to indicate the tank's had it's Visual/Eddy current inspection in conjunction with the hydro.
Rick

I *knew* I was forgetting something. :)

mike_s:
out of the tens or thousands of the 6351 tanks made over numerous years, that only something like 12 of them have had a failure

would suck if you were filling one of those 12, though

jbd:
I'm sure there are cases in which fragmentation occurs to some degree.

i remember there was a shop attendant at Luraville who was killed when an O2 cylinder failed ... i assume that was a steel cylinder, though

H2Andy:
i remember there was a shop attendant at Luraville who was killed when an O2 cylinder failed ... i assume that was a steel cylinder, though
It was aluminum.
Rick

pescador775:
I've been trying to train a pigeon to inspect my tanks. So far, he can spot rust and pits but can not distinguish a crack from a normal thread; he can see them but doesn't always count the threads right. He has learned to peck a red button leading to a bell when he sees a problem. He still can't get the hang of the eddy current machine so I decided to dispose of my sole aluminum tank and sell the machine.

Pigeons are too big and dumb. I trained a sparrow. They are smarter and small enough to get inside the tank to do the internal inspection. The eddy current machine is still a problem though.

Rick Murchison:
It was aluminum.
Rick
Rick,

Was that a tank that was tank that was dropped in the parking lot or something like that??? I seem to recall some discussion of that a few years ago.

Jim

i believe she (the filler) was nearby when a tank containing O2 fell to the ground
and it exploded, killing her

this was at Cave Excursions in Luraville, a couple of years back... maybe 2005, 2004

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom