DOT final rule on 6351 cylylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comes up blank

Try www.psicylinders.com

Click on the big block that says HN220F. That should take you to an 8 page article on the subject.

I'm printing it right now and will read it once I've had a gallon of coffee and an highlighter available :D Government reading is so tedious :wink:

Clay's Notes version:

After much consideration and several comments, it has been ruled that SCUBA, SCBA, and O2 service 6351-T6 cylinders must now have an eddy current test (along with the already required visual) with each scheduled hydro from January 1, 2007, onward, due to the SLC issue. Any cracks reaching two thread lengths require the cylinder to be condemned. There will be no fixed service lifetime. The new rules don't apply to other uses of 6351-T6 cylinders. Oh, and you should know better than to use 6351-T6 cylinders for pyrophoric gases, but in case you didn't, now you do. :D

(Okay, so I'm not quite the Reduced Shakespeare Company...)

This is re those aluminum tanks that have a bad habit of blowing up while being filled because of a defect in a particular batch, right?

CompuDude:
This is re those aluminum tanks that have a bad habit of blowing up while being filled because of a defect in a particular batch, right?

It is not a defect, it is a SLC (Sustained Load Cracking) cause by migration of lead within the metal. ALL 6351 cylinders are susceptible but catastrophic failures are rare.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

Weren't we supposed to be doing eddy current tests on these at visual time anyway? Or was that just a "suggestion" vs. a mandate?

R

I guess you'd just say it's no longer *self*-regulation with respect to eddy current tests on 6351-T6 for scuba.

CompuDude:

I think calling it a "bad habit of blowing up" is a poor analogy of it. But I understand your concerns though...

I think that out of the tens or thousands of the 6351 tanks made over numerous years, that only something like 12 of them have had a failure that resulted in some sort of crack or rupture of the tank. (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Many people safely use these tanks daily. You will find however though than many shops have up signs saying they won't fill them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom