Do's and Don'ts of Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a great list, Trace, thank you sir.

Some other Do's:

1. Do realize that back zip drysuits are as self-donning as other zipper placements. (If you can reach your valves, you can do this trick!)

A couple Do Not's:

1. Don't scare Andy by changing your dive plan.

2. Don't get caught if you are DIR.

For me there are three main risks that I have to be aware of: complacency, getting in a rush and letting my ego push me into things I'm not comfortable with.

For me the most dangerous part of solo-ing is going again and forgetting to tell my wife I was going to do two dives :wink:

In all seriousness, I think the most dangerous part - as has been said - is getting to the site and driving home - I do live in SoCal after all......

the diving itself, not so much......

It seems everything was pretty much covered! This should turn into a nice list for future and present solo divers.

My list:

Do's
1. Be aware of your surroundings! Tides, time when there expected to change, current. Have I dove here before? Where am going? What am I going for? Whats down there?

2. Plan dive. I always run the tables, and I write down on my slate a basic dive plan. If I intend to be on the boundries of deco, i write down a deco table. Just in case the comp craps out on me. Insure my current rig will handle the dive with the thirds rules.

3. Equipment check. Check tanks, check regs, second mask, slate, primary light, secondary light, etc.

4. After decent check my gear again, is it all there? Perform a regulator switch to redundant air, switch mack to primary. All is good, proceed with dive.

5. Check computer, and all gauges periodically.

6. Never exceed planed dive, and never exceed comfort level.

7. Ascend at the planned time, never push it beyond the plan.

8. Always contact or call someone to let them know your done your dive. Oh yeah almost forgot, always leave a dive plan with someone, with the where, who, why, what and when's.

9. Have Fun.
:cool2:

DO bring a surface marker bouy AND a whistle or other audible signaling device, especially if you solo in the ocean. Getting to the surface is only step one if you have a problem, you still need to get someone's attention.

DON'T solo in the middle of nowhere, completely, utterly alone, with nobody else around to signal with the devices above.

Which brings me to the most dangerous aspect of my solo diving...getting back to the beach. My worst case scenario is being injured, adrift, next stop...Bermuda!

Which brings me to the most dangerous aspect of my solo diving...getting back to the beach. My worst case scenario is being injured, adrift, next stop...Bermuda!

"I wear one, and you should too."
koop.jpg

FastFind210_PLB.jpg

Exactly. In addition to an ACR Strobe, I carry an ACR Microfix EPIRB (equipped with GPS position) and a Rescue Laser in a pressure resistant case along with water and energy gel in my deep water kit. In the North Atlantic, survivability is a projected maximum of 48 hours tops, but there's a good chance of rescue with this equipment.

Attachments

• microfix.jpg
    microfix.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 33
  • rescue-laser-flare-magnum.png
    rescue-laser-flare-magnum.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 33
Not to turn this into another EPIRB vs whatever else thread, but I also carry a spot-finder on EVERY dive. I put it in a waterproof Otterbox (rated to 100ft - I have been down to 136ft with mine with ZERO leaks). The unit is waterproof to a couple of feet, so I need to carry it in the box. If I get to the surface and need assistance, I just hit the button. There is one MAJOR drawback with this device, coverage is NOT global. Coverage Map - However, From just NE of Hawaii all the way to Europe is pretty well covered. (I know, not covering HI is an annoyance). But for me it's great because I can send an OK message from areas with no cell coverage - AND do the same while hiking/biking, etc.

It's a great tool (EPIRB, or Spot-finder) - and could certainly save your bacon.....

Exactly. In addition to an ACR Strobe, I carry an ACR Microfix EPIRB (equipped with GPS position) and a Rescue Laser in a pressure resistant case along with water and energy gel in my deep water kit. In the North Atlantic, survivability is a projected maximum of 48 hours tops, but there's a good chance of rescue with this equipment.

What does that laser flare do?

What does that laser flare do?

1.) As I had suspected, DCBC is actually a Jedi Knight. That is really a Light Sabre. :D
-or-
2.) Used to fend off laser-wearing sharks (joke will not make sense if you haven't watched the Austin Powers movies).
-or-
3.) Laser light is very visibile to SAR pilots wearing night vision goggles?

My vote is the Jedi thingie :D

Best wishes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom