Do's and Don'ts of Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeadTurn_SD

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems that often we get sidetracked on discussions of redundancy, pony bottle rigging, or just plain defending why we solo dive, and I wanted to start a thread on basic Do's and Dont's related to solo diving.

Here are mine:

I. Do have fun while diving solo.

II. Don't injure, maim, mutilate, kill, or significantly scare yourself while performing Number I above. :D

Seriously, I am very interested in what other folks do and how they approach solo.

Equally seriously, the list above is basically how I approach solo... in other words, I use the same equipment and skills (or lack thereof :D ) that I do on a "buddy dive".

Thanks for the input.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
I really don't think about it very much. Have been doing it since my first descent on SCUBA in 1961. After nearly 50 years, it's second nature. I find when I dive with a buddy it usually really ruins my enjoyment of the dive unless I'm with one of my favorite buddies) including my son) or a beautiful (and intelligent) woman.

Not sure that there are any do's and don'ts except perhaps one:

You do want to surface at the end of every dive.

Do have a redundant air source.
Do resist the temptations of pushing the envelope (too much) when by yourself.

Don't forget to allow enough reserve air that you can help out another diver in an out of air situation. (I know- you're solo, but stuff happens, I include this because I have occasionally gained a buddy late in a solo dive)

:D

DO plan every dive.
DO tell someone of your intentions. (This one I'm a little biased as as member of Search & Rescue).
DON'T take common sense for granted.
DON'T lose your car keys. (embarrassingly I've done it!)

I've done a few solos when there's nobody else to dive with at the resort... and when I dive with a bunch of photogs my camera's my buddy... but I'm a warm water weenie in Anilao, YMMV

DO have some familiarization with the dive site
DO ask knowledgeable personnel (dive guides, local fisherfolk) of tide, current and water conditions before you go in
DO dive conservatively... give yourself some allowances (depth, air, time) and then add a bit more after that

DON'T be a moron - nothing is worth dying for

Jag

The surface is almost always my redundant air.

If no one has ever done the dive I need to scout it out before I would take someone else.

Near the end of my solo dives, when I am shallow and sucking it dry, an OOA diver would need to go to the surface.

I may have more later, after I kayak to Molokini for a two tank solo dive trip. :)

If you are the only one on the boat, DO call your wife last thing before you jump in, and as soon as you pop back up. She gets really, really mad if you forget to call her after you come back up.

DO make sure someone knows where you are diving, what equipment consists of, and what your final act will be. Make sure they know when to expect you and when to call the cops.

DO carry redundant gas, but don't make using it a part of your dive

DO carry redundant equipment, including a mask and lift bag

DO have fun and enjoy the dive, because if it's no fun then why are you doing it??

Peace,
Greg

When I plan to go diving (Scuba or free) I check with my buddies to see who can go and if they are busy I go 'cause I love to dive. The pre and post dive discussions are way shorter. I don't do anything which needs a spotter.

My wife knows where I'm going and about when I will be able to call; A lot of the dive spots have no phone service so I have to pack up and drive to where the cell works. This is with or without buddies.

Bob
-------------
I always feel great after diving, may be its the nitrogen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom