Dorcy II 220 as primary light for AOW class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Dorcy I as a backup light. It's got a narrow beam.

Most instructors provide a suitable primary light for night dive classes. Won't yours?

No, I doubt I instructors/dive shops will provide light in NorCal. In fact, one of the required equipment to purchase for AOW here is a light.

I guess for $50, I will give it a try. Where can I get "goodman" style of holder for this light?

here are some beam shots of the Dorcy Dive II. youtube.com/watch?v=KxCs6VhVC8w

that appears, in my opinion, to have a much more focused than the Dorcy I flashlight.

the Dorcy I was I'd say 80% spot and 20% flood.

but this one appears in the video to be 100% spot. Is this correct from your experience?

here is a pic of the Dorcy I with the "halo" of about 20% flood.

Pic is off ST forum and is huge. so linking instead of 'ing

[url=http://forum.scubatoys.com/attachments/lights/4408d1238609367-new-dorcy-dive-light-dorcy.jpg]Dorcy I Light pic[/url]

the strap that comes with the Dorcy SUCKS. when you look at it, the attachment is so thin that is says "break me".

Well, I guess I should have said Goodman handle since that's what I meant. The strap sucks like you say and I never even installed it. I have bolt snap on mine, and plan to use the soft Goodman for when I leave my canister light home, and Dorcy steps in as a night light.
At least LED Lighting Products Piranha Dive Manufacturing sells the soft Goodman handle (they call the Dorcy lights Penetarors).

For anyone that is interested this fairly easy to make a soft handle as well.

Well, I guess I should have said Goodman handle since that's what I meant. The strap sucks like you say and I never even installed it. I have bolt snap on mine, and plan to use the soft Goodman for when I leave my canister light home, and Dorcy steps in as a night light.
At least LED Lighting Products Piranha Dive Manufacturing sells the soft Goodman handle (they call the Dorcy lights Penetarors).

FWIW, it's entirely possible to thread a loop of the _other end_ of the strap that comes with the Dorcy through the hole, then run the rest of the strap through it. Still plenty of room to get your hand through, although I bought a soft Goodman handle.

I'm not sure this wasn't what was intended from the start, and the thin loop is just there to give you something to pull on to get it off your wrist. I find it hard to believe that they could have intended you to use the thin line to hold the light, as it clearly won't take much abrasion.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom