Dor Iv Anilao may 19-21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthew:
I have been diving anilao for sometime now, and I also like to do own own thing when diving with my regular buddies. I also do a lot of guiding for my instructor's group. As such I know reasonably well a lot of the Anilao sites, and I feel competent enough to do it safely. So why am I going with Divenet?

1. The best sites in Anilao have unpredictable conditions that are best managed by the most experienced DMs, especially with a big group with varying abilities. Sure, on a lucky day you can just drop into bahura, swim along the reef and see sharks, then come up. But that rarely happens. Remember our recent aborted dive there? The current was not even very strong, just a few errors in judgement (for which I feel partly responsible being the most senior in the group), and you know what happened. That is not likely to happen with an experienced take-charge guy. On that dive I felt I lost, rather than saved, a few hundred pesos.

2. I want to dive with the visiting pasaways as well as the local ones, who are diving with Divenet. Unless there's some sort of arrangement, you cannot just get a boat, go to the same site, drop in and swim with them. If I am their DM I will kill you.:D

3. As you pointed out, DM quality. There can be a whole lot of difference in the things you see on the same site with a volunteer vs. a DM vs. a really good DM. If you havent seen Bahura or Beatriz or Mainit with a good guide you may be in for a surprise. It's well worth the extra cost. You might even postpone your cave/wreck plans.

4. I learn a lot from them, and they're fun to be with.

I suggest we do the more advanced sites with them. We can then do the easier sites in the succeeding dives. And show me the helicopter wreck, I havent been there.:wink:

May I add safety and enforcement of proper dive procedures. When I was an open water diver I went to Larry's garden twice with a group that had a local dive guide and before back rolling the guide asked "sir magpapa deco ba tayo?" then 2 of the more experienced divers said "yeah!!" and he obliged, of the 6 divers only the 2 of them enjoyed it. the other 3 got traumatized by how deep that darn garden is they never wanted to dive beyond 60ft again.

Now to boracay, me and a friend go diving with a spanish instructor. we backroll and my cowboy friend starts descending like a rock down to 120 ft, does the instructor follow him with the other divers? NO, he lets him be and takes the other divers for a nice dive to the reef at about 90 ft. After the dive we get a scolding from the instructor (I got a headache from trying to be macho and following him down like as jag would say, a harpooned cow) and asks as to transfer to another dive operator.

Divemastering is more than just giving ok signals, lifting tanks and pointing interesting creatures. its also about figuring out who among the 12 divers on the boat your guiding will most likely to tell you his air is ok even if its not just because he doesn't want to be the first one up. Its about knowing who among them will say nothing even if the group decides to check out the shark at 150ft. Its about talking to the girlfriend/wife/younger sister that its alright that she is scared of sharks and that you can take her to the 30 foot reef with lots of "nemos" after the dive of the group. Its about putting a smile to a sad diver who just broke his mask strap when you hand him an extra strap in your tool kit. Divemasters are not measured with their diving skills only but with their organization skills, people skills and prudent judgement.

The divemaster who talks a lot about what he has done, where he has dived, the shark that he held under his arms, the current that he swam in for 5 kms, the 200 foot dive he made on a pony bottle is the divemaster that will show of his skills to you and will probably get you bent.

But if you think your skilled enough to not need a DM that is ok and good but I also suggest that you take stock of the people your diving with and what they are capable of. My friend who had an accident in Dumaguete was just a rescue diver and a lot of people blamed him of his buddy's death because he was the more experience of the two.

paolov:
caloy would be the BOOM man !!! ahhahahha.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

it was way up in this thread. I just thought you'd not want to miss reading it...

"May I add safety and enforcement of proper dive procedures. When I was an open water diver I went to Larry's garden twice with a group that had a local dive guide and before back rolling the guide asked "sir magpapa deco ba tayo?" then 2 of the more experienced divers said "yeah!!" and he obliged, of the 6 divers only the 2 of them enjoyed it. the other 3 got traumatized by how deep that darn garden is they never wanted to dive beyond 60ft again.

Now to boracay, me and a friend go diving with a spanish instructor. we backroll and my cowboy friend starts descending like a rock down to 120 ft, does the instructor follow him with the other divers? NO, he lets him be and takes the other divers for a nice dive to the reef at about 90 ft. After the dive we get a scolding from the instructor (I got a headache from trying to be macho and following him down like as jag would say, a harpooned cow) and asks as to transfer to another dive operator.

Divemastering is more than just giving ok signals, lifting tanks and pointing interesting creatures. its also about figuring out who among the 12 divers on the boat your guiding will most likely to tell you his air is ok even if its not just because he doesn't want to be the first one up. Its about knowing who among them will say nothing even if the group decides to check out the shark at 150ft. Its about talking to the girlfriend/wife/younger sister that its alright that she is scared of sharks and that you can take her to the 30 foot reef with lots of "nemos" after the dive of the group. Its about putting a smile to a sad diver who just broke his mask strap when you hand him an extra strap in your tool kit. Divemasters are not measured with their diving skills only but with their organization skills, people skills and prudent judgement.

The divemaster who talks a lot about what he has done, where he has dived, the shark that he held under his arms, the current that he swam in for 5 kms, the 200 foot dive he made on a pony bottle is the divemaster that will show of his skills to you and will probably get you bent.

But if you think your skilled enough to not need a DM that is ok and good but I also suggest that you take stock of the people your diving with and what they are capable of. My friend who had an accident in Dumaguete was just a rescue diver and a lot of people blamed him of his buddy's death because he was the more experience of the two.
axuadive@yahoo.com

tell me and I will forget
show me and I will remember
Involve me and I will understand"

Axua:
May I add safety and enforcement of proper dive procedures. When I was an open water diver I went to Larry's garden twice with a group that had a local dive guide and before back rolling the guide asked "sir magpapa deco ba tayo?" then 2 of the more experienced divers said "yeah!!" and he obliged, of the 6 divers only the 2 of them enjoyed it. the other 3 got traumatized by how deep that darn garden is they never wanted to dive beyond 60ft again.

Well said Jai. A divemaster has a very difficult job, one that I would not want. They have to deal with what I call Inst-buddies who as regular divers, misrepresent their skill level and tend to ruin other people's dives. They have to be babysitters, guides and repairmen. I respect what you do because I just don't have the patience, as you can tell from the debate over in the Insta-buddy thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom