DOR 4 Photo Comp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clgsamson:
its easy pards, my problem now is what position will the strobe be when I take a close up pic or wide angle one. I've been reading and reading some more...I'm learning. Learning curve is not that steep...

Buy a strobe!!!!
The best way to find out is underwater. Shoot, and if you don't like the results, shoot again. I pretty much have an general idea of what my stobe position will be before I take a shot and then I adjust position of the strobe if needed.

midwestdvr:
You wish.... if i do get one, it'll be for land use only. That is until I finally get the cojones to house it :D
ahhh yes cojones... a major consideration whenever a man makes any type of decision...

Jag

midwestdvr:
No, can't say I've ever played with that feature..... too busy researching dslrs :D

You've got your own personal cheerleading squad here midwest....

Buy it!!!!!
Errrm did I just say that?

Which models are you looking at??

Hi. I don’t mean to hijack this thread or to go off topic but since you’ve been discussing the Inon D2K, can I slip on some questions of my own? I actually posted these questions in the underwater photo forum but got a whopping 0 replies. Maybe Caloy or some other PPD D2k users (Midwest, Pak?) can help. Will be experimenting with it during the holidays too.

1. If you’re using the optical cable instead of the electrical synch cord for the D2kw, is it still necessary to clean and grease the synch connector cap o-ring after each use? Or should I just leave it alone?
  2. Do you get better results for macro using STTL or using external auto?
  3. Have you tried using the strobe when camera is in supermacro? For supermacro, I think my 5060 has to be in slave flash mode which means you can’t use STTL. What settings would be best for shooting the strobe in supermacro mode?
  4. Manual recommends ISO 100. Would you? Or would lower Iso be better?
  5. Under what conditions would it be better to use the diffuser ? Do you need to adjust strobe settings when using it? (for external auto and STTL).
  6. Can you use the strobe in “external auto” even without the magnet? so you can shift between STTL and “external auto” underwater.
  7. When using the focus light, should you point the light exactly on the subject or above and beyond it?
  8. With the strobe to one side, the camera is a bit hard to balance (because the strobe is negatively buoyant). Is there a way to counteract this buoyancy? Will the buoyancy arm attachment of Inon be enough?
  9. When using a macro lens, will you need to adjust strobe settings?
Sorry again for the hi-jack, Caloy. But since you’ve been reading I was hoping you’d have answers to some of these questions already. I don’t think I can stand going through that manual again. Sumakit ang ulo ko don sa totoo lang.

As for feeling guilty about our diving luho… I think the joy that our hobby brings is priceless - so our money is always well spent. :D

Cathy

CLA, no need to apologize for the hijack.
Tis the ppd, there's no such thing as a hijack here..

I don't have a strobe, but just wait a little and i'm sure you'll get a ton of responses :).

CLA:
  1. If you’re using the optical cable instead of the electrical synch cord for the D2kw, is it still necessary to clean and grease the synch connector cap o-ring after each use? Or should I just leave it alone?
  2. Do you get better results for macro using STTL or using external auto?
  3. Have you tried using the strobe when camera is in supermacro? For supermacro, I think my 5060 has to be in slave flash mode which means you can’t use STTL. What settings would be best for shooting the strobe in supermacro mode?
  4. Manual recommends ISO 100. Would you? Or would lower Iso be better?
  5. Under what conditions would it be better to use the diffuser ? Do you need to adjust strobe settings when using it? (for external auto and STTL).
  6. Can you use the strobe in “external auto” even without the magnet? so you can shift between STTL and “external auto” underwater.
  7. When using the focus light, should you point the light exactly on the subject or above and beyond it?
  8. With the strobe to one side, the camera is a bit hard to balance (because the strobe is negatively buoyant). Is there a way to counteract this buoyancy? Will the buoyancy arm attachment of Inon be enough?
  9. When using a macro lens, will you need to adjust strobe settings?
Sorry again for the hi-jack, Caloy. But since you’ve been reading I was hoping you’d have answers to some of these questions already. I don’t think I can stand going through that manual again. Sumakit ang ulo ko don sa totoo lang.

As for feeling guilty about our diving luho… I think the joy that our hobby brings is priceless - so our money is always well spent. :D

Cathy
**disclaimer... this is my opinion from the limited time I've had the D-2000 (not W model) and as a total uw photog noob... :D

1) I have the older model with only the optical connector. no grease needed. not sure about the newer W model with the eletronic connection.

2) I usually keep it in e-ttl, but sometimes I will need to dial it down a bit if I find its overexposing.

3) Can't answer that. I have a Canon S70. I can ask my colleague who has a 7070 and a D-2000. But I think you're right about the setting for the Oly supermacro and ext. strobe. I think the Oly preflash is disabled in supermacro.

4) use 100 or 50 ISO. less noise

5) I always use the diffuser. the only exception is if I'm trying to crank it at full power at something far (beyond 2-3m away?)

6) you can always switch it to manual and then dial in the exposure manually. Not sure of the benefits of using ext auto.

7) yes and no. If you have no other focus light, then it will be handy to light up your target, but this may result in back scatter as the strobe with then be pointed directly at your subject. Do a search and most people will recommend you aim the strobe off centered to avoid backscatter. This maybe less of an issue when doing very close up macros but will be problem when you have more water between you and the subject.

8) My left wrist has gotten bigger... :wink: never tried the strobe arm float...

9) no adjustment needed as the D-2000 will be reading the camera's own internal flash setting for its exposure setting. * but you might heed Inon's recommendation of using the low e-ttl setting first. then adjust up or down. if its not enough, then move it up to the normal e-ttl setting.

If you're new to external strobes, I would set it on the ettl setting and just take a LOT OF PICS, review then on the camera lcd, and adj the strobe if you find it over/ under exposed...

hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom