Doppler grades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Deco:

This being true, there will always be a large ”background” of bubbles from adipose tissue. when helium is the diving gas, the bubbles are predominantly from muscle (and some from adipose) tissue.
Dr Deco
:doctor:

This was an interesting comment. My partner and I can say from about five 400+ foot altitude dives (mixes appx. 10/70) with a conservative decompression schedule with deep stops that if we did not relax post dive our biceps would ache. We even started having a designated driver for us due to it not being comfortable to maintain our hands on the steering wheel. I didn't even like to hold a cell phone. Now when we relaxed, we didn’t notice any diving effects. But one dive that I found memorable is that I was having a little difficulty getting out of my rig in the water (we never do any post dive exercise ... including getting on the boat with our rig on), so a safety diver helped me. He loosened my shoulder strap and bent my arm at the elbow so I could pull out. It was still snug so my arm stayed in that position for a little while until the shoulder harness was loosened even further. While my arm was relaxed, but bent, my bicep started aching pretty good where I was silently praying for him to hurry up and finish loosening the strap. Once it was out it felt fine again. I know there can be many explanations for this, but it is interesting we consistently noticed this type of ache on a high helium mix. Just wanted to share this due to the comments on helium and muscles.

Hello Departure Diver:

That is interesting, but it would seem to be an extreme case of decompression gas bubble formation – if that was the reason. Certainly excessive activity would play a role in bubble formation post dive, but simply holding on to the steering wheel of a car does not appear to be all that active – to say the least.

I certainly will keep this in mind for future comparison.

Dr Deco :doctor:

I've noticed something similar in getting out of my dry suit after deep mix dives. It gets me in the elbow and lasts for as much as ten minutes and then clears up on its own. This generally does not happen on short shallow dives. It does happen regardless of subclavian bubble grade so I suspect it's not bubble related, but may instead have something to do with prolonged inactivity and cold.

Hello Kendall:

It appears that it is linked more to diving in general and less to a specific profile; I would suspect that it is not joint-pain DCS. The absence of Doppler bubbles from that arm is indicative of this, also, but it does not prove it. :54:

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom