Door County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SwimJim

Contributor
Reaction score
I dove Door county Wisconsin on Sunday. We did Porcupine Bay and the wreck of the Fleetwing. The viz was awesome as it usually is at the tip of the Door penensula, over fifty feet both places. A little tricky getting in over slippery rocks but well worth the efforts.
Here is a photo of my dive buddies on the Fleetwing.

Jim

Are you saying that you can shore dive that wreck? Not too many wrecks around that you can dive from shore....

frankenmuth_tom:
Are you saying that you can shore dive that wreck? Not too many wrecks around that you can dive from shore....

Yes, the Fleetwing is an easy shore dive. It even has a web page, http://www.wisconsinshipwrecks.org/explore_fleetwing_intro.cfm .

The wreck is within 200 hundred feet of an old boat launch and is in a bay that is protected on three sides. That and the fact that there is a rock bottom provides you with consistantly good viz. I have yet to dive this wreck where the viz has been less then fifty feet. There is not much left of the wreck itself, but it makes a great novice dive or a dive to tweak equipment. We did this after diving Porcupine Bay which is close by. Another shore dive, you can reach depths of 70+ feet fairly quickly. Usually there are many good size small mouth bass hanging around.
Green Bay scuba offers a shore diving guide to Door county that features 29 dives. It costs a couple of bucks, like $2.50, but if your interested in shore diving this area it is indespenseable.
Heres another shot. These are loose ships timbers that after many years of rolling on the bottom resemble giant tooth picks.

Jim

That's one of the things that came to mind, is if the wreck is very near the beach/waters edge and in fairly shallow water, it would get 'ground up' by the ice and pretty quickly become a odd pile of logs. It would have to be pretty well protected to keep the ice from turning it into a pile of kindleing...

You're a lucky man to be able to dive in such nice conditions! It makes my dive in Lake Fenton last Sunday pale by comparison!

SwimJim:
Yes, the Fleetwing is an easy shore dive. It even has a web page, http://www.wisconsinshipwrecks.org/explore_fleetwing_intro.cfm .

The wreck is within 200 hundred feet of an old boat launch and is in a bay that is protected on three sides. That and the fact that there is a rock bottom provides you with consistantly good viz. I have yet to dive this wreck where the viz has been less then fifty feet. There is not much left of the wreck itself, but it makes a great novice dive or a dive to tweak equipment. We did this after diving Porcupine Bay which is close by. Another shore dive, you can reach depths of 70+ feet fairly quickly. Usually there are many good size small mouth bass hanging around.
Green Bay scuba offers a shore diving guide to Door county that features 29 dives. It costs a couple of bucks, like $2.50, but if your interested in shore diving this area it is indespenseable.
Heres another shot. These are loose ships timbers that after many years of rolling on the bottom resemble giant tooth picks.

Jim

i am headling up there the first week in september for a camping trip. camping @ peninsula state park. does anyone know of shore dives that are close to this camping area. otherwise we may just take a few charters out of gills rock. i will have to pick up that guide from green bay scuba. do you have anymore pics?

These I thought were okay too. I'll be doing more wreck photo's later this year. I'm fairly experienced on dry land with my old 35mm gear. Although I've been diving for years, I'm a bit of a green horn when it comes to UW photo's. These were shot with a Nikonos II I bought when I was first certified in '78. I haven't used it much, but its fun to mess with.

Jim

SwimJim:
These I thought were okay too. I'll be doing more wreck photo's later this year. I'm fairly experienced on dry land with my old 35mm gear. Although I've been diving for years, I'm a bit of a green horn when it comes to UW photo's. These were shot with a Nikonos II I bought when I was first certified in '78. I haven't used it much, but its fun to mess with.

Jim
WOW! You must be pretty old then....Do you live near the Niagara by any chance?

Yes Eric its me. I dove the Niagara yesterday as a matter of fact. Haven't seen you at the meetings. Seems like you fell off the earth. Are you coming to the club picnic?

Jim

SwimJim:
Yes Eric its me. I dove the Niagara yesterday as a matter of fact. Haven't seen you at the meetings. Seems like you fell off the earth. Are you coming to the club picnic?

Jim
Glad to know its you JIm,I was worried I am teasing wrong guy,hahhaa.I got called back to work from lay-off last September and being 2nd shift...... :frown: .I haven't recieved anything in mail about picnic yet,is it next Saturday? Do I need to contact Tracy? I only logged 2 dives so far,I hope this not prediction of a lonely season.Did a solo on Lannon Quarry last week and a dive on Big Cedar.That lake is awesome! Beautiful! Great vis...deep.Lots of Largemouth Bass to keep you company.Need to do that lake alot more...NIce to hear from you again,I am glad I strated browsing this board again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom