Doolette's Alert Diver Interview

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The article said "should be safer," which is what I'm trying to get after. It would seem that implicitly means protecting the fast tissues but making sure to protect the slow ones with more shallow time.

Seems quite possible that a computer would give that result for some profiles. I just ran 75m for 30 mins through Baltic;

40/80 first stop 42m, run time = 146 mins
5/80 first stop 51m, run time = 162 mins (16 minutes longer)

GFLo 5 is the lowest I can go in Baltic, but 75% max depth would be ~57m, even deeper than 5/80 wants, so run time according to the computer would be longer still.

(Edit: Also, doing linear intermediate stops would also add a bit to the run time according to the computer. Throw in an additional gas break or two and I can easily see 30+ mins being added above a pure 40/80 profile.)
My copy of the tech 1 presentation says that a Deco Planner profile should be 20/85. However I neither own Deco planner or have taken the class, and 75m dives are out of scope for tech 1 anyhow.

(Edit: Also, doing linear intermediate stops would also add a bit to the run time according to the computer. Throw in an additional gas break or two and I can easily see 30+ mins being added above a pure 40/80 profile.)

When I was doing DIR style OC deco, gas breaks were considered part of the deco runtime and not add-ons. I guess things have changed.

When I was doing DIR style OC deco, gas breaks were considered part of the deco runtime and not add-ons. I guess things have changed.
I have different experience on IANTD training(1999), gas break is never part of the deco run time.

I don't know anyone who doesn't count the gas breaks as deco time.

I don't know anyone who doesn't count the gas breaks as deco time.
Interesting - I don't know anyone who does count gas breaks as deco time any more. I thought that was one of the Georgisms that had long since been quietly dropped.

Was there ever any actual evidence for the "your body acts as if it is still on oxygen" thing?

Interesting - I don't know anyone who does count gas breaks as deco time any more. I thought that was one of the Georgisms that had long since been quietly dropped.

Was there ever any actual evidence for the "your body acts as if it is still on oxygen" thing?

I would imagine that the pulmonary benefits from taking breaks helps with offgassing. Reduced total exposure to oxygen.

AJ: no, taking oxygen breaks does nothing to improve off gassing. It reduces damage from the production of reactive oxygen species generated in the high oxygen environment of the lungs, but it does not alter diffusion gas gradients.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom