Don't understand the ban on shooting some fish species

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could you give me an idea of what kind of output you get with organic small scale farming? You don't know what you are talking about.

That's the issue, as I see it. There are a variety of truly sustainable practices for raising food on land, sea, and in between (e.g., aquaculture), but even collectively, they cannot feed the entire human population.

That's the issue, as I see it. There are a variety of truly sustainable practices for raising food on land, sea, and in between (e.g., aquaculture), but even collectively, they cannot feed the entire human population.
But actual commercial farming practices can feed the entire human population.

But actual commercial farming practices can feed the entire human population.

Not sure what you mean. As I understand it, commercial farming on a scale that can feed the world is heavily reliant on petroleum, and adversely impacts the environment in other ways. Small, self-sustaining farms are idyllic, but can't feed the masses.

Not sure what you mean. As I understand it, commercial farming on a scale that can feed the world is heavily reliant on petroleum, and adversely impacts the environment in other ways. Small, self-sustaining farms are idyllic, but can't feed the masses.

I mean just what I said. Commercial farming CAN feed the planet. Small, self sustaining, organic farms like 95% of the population slaved on 150 years ago cannot. Now 97% of the population can do something else and the farmers can feed them so easily that food isn't even worth much. I raise some fruit. I can tell you that if the wholesale price of pears would stay ten cents a pound higher we would bury you in pears. $2 a bushel on wheat or corn would do the same thing.

Well, rather than take up space here, I will simply admit I don't understand what kind of "commercial farming" you have in mind that can feed the world without an adverse impact on the environment--a lower impact by far than fishing, I'm sure, but the argument then becomes just a matter of degree (and, ultimately, time). No need to explain it to me here. This thread is about bans on shooting fish.

Simply note that population is increasing. Nothing can increase forever in a finite closed system.

Well, rather than take up space here, I will simply admit I don't understand what kind of "commercial farming" you have in mind that can feed the world without an adverse impact on the environment--a lower impact by far than fishing, I'm sure, but the argument then becomes just a matter of degree (and, ultimately, time). No need to explain it to me here. This thread is about bans on shooting fish.

Nobody lives without affecting the environment and scuba divers are some of the worst wasting vast amounts of fuel to go on planes and boats.

Personally, I think that shooting fish is the most sustainable way to catch them. We ought to have a meat license. Too many folks think that meat comes from the store. Wanna eat bacon? Go kill a pig and watch them die. Wanna eat steak? Use a spike gun and knock a hole in a cow's brain pan. Wanna eat fish? Watch one struggle at the end of your line.

There would be a lot fewer folks eating meat.....

I would continue to eat meat. I have done those things.

Nobody lives without affecting the environment and scuba divers are some of the worst wasting vast amounts of fuel to go on planes and boats.

A very valid point. The same people who make food choices based on their environment impact.

It's all a matter of individual choices, based on our individual perceptions of their impact. I may eat a variety of things, knowing there is some impact, but there are some things I would NOT eat because I judge the impact to exceed some threshold I have set for myself. I do believe that eventually, no matter how lightly we tread on the Earth, we will outstrip its resources.

Simply note that population is increasing. Nothing can increase forever in a finite closed system.

This is the real issue IMO. We keep producing more people as we deplete the resources. I know it is not a topic most like but eventually we will need to work on population control if we want to stay alive and still live on this planet.

Personally, I think that shooting fish is the most sustainable way to catch them. We ought to have a meat license. Too many folks think that meat comes from the store. Wanna eat bacon? Go kill a pig and watch them die. Wanna eat steak? Use a spike gun and knock a hole in a cow's brain pan. Wanna eat fish? Watch one struggle at the end of your line.

There would be a lot fewer folks eating meat.....

I would continue to eat meat. I have done those things.

I agree 100%! I have killed wild boar in Hawaii, hunted deer back home in Ohio and killed a few pigs to have butchered. Granted I never hunted for sport but rather to put meat in the freezer. Only kill what you can and will eat.

On a side note, vegetarians make me mad...they eat my food's food and that is not cool!! :D I thought they loved animals?!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom