Don't understand the ban on shooting some fish species

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do you have this problem with "conservation" when it comes to what fish you can hunt and when? Here in Louisiana, where we hunt the oil rigs, we have a very short season for hunting Red Snapper. Decades ago, a chef named Paul Prudhomme in New Orleans invented a dish called "Blackened Redfish." Huge hit! So much so that DWF put a ban on taking Reds. So, all the chefs started using Red Snapper. Well that led to severe restrictions on fishing and hunting them. That was about 30 years ago. Today? I estimate 80% of the fish we see under the rigs are Red Snapper! I mean they dominate! And they seem to know we can't shoot them. You literally almost have to push them out of your way to fin through them. But, when they are in season...you've got to hunt for them.

The scientific methods for counting red snapper (I have performed this research) are outdated and inadequate. Problem is, there is 20 years of poor data. If you come up with a new method for determining the population of a fish, you throw all that came before it away. That's millions and millions of bad research down the drain, so instead, we keep collecting more bad data.

Specifically, red snapper are counted by trapping them. Problem with trapping them is that the traps are on the bottom (for 40-50 minutes) and the red snapper are distributed throughout the water column. Second problem is that no matter how many sow red snapper are in the vicinity of the trap, only one (and rarely 2) will get in the trap together, so the trap may have a hundred snapper looking in at the menhaden bait (Menhaden is the only bait used), only one is gorging itself.

Now, many little reds will enter the trap with the sow, so the scientist sees (when the trap is hauled) one "keeper" and a ton of fingerling. What does that tell you? I'll tell you what it tells you, it tells you that there are a bunch of young snapper out there, but very few big snapper.

Now, I'm just a dumb research boat captain, I would never tell the NMFS scientists that their methods are wrong, right? Well, lets just say that after that one trapping trip, I wasn't asked to do any more. Especially after seeing a ton of dead and dying snapper thrown back, and poor scientific methods, and general mayhem on the deck, I couldn't keep my mouth shut (Shocking, I know). Ask any charter fisherman how the snapper are doing, they will tell you they are flourishing.

But a scientist told me that Red Snapper are functionally extinct in the Atlantic.

I know Red Snapper was severely over fished for some time. I remember reading somewhere that most of the Reds caught were between 3 and 6 years old.

That would mean they missed out on a ton of reproduction time which drastically lowers the sustainable population.

My guess is while you are seeing more of them and they look to be recovered, they are still limiting the numbers to bring the numbers back up and to give the fish time to mature and breed more. Again just a guess from what I have read about sustainability and fishing.

This is from the SE Regional NOAA Office

Trying to buck the system or protest is futile. Maybe the better strategy is to stay one step ahead of the commercial fishermen. Surely you guys in the gulf have another tasty fish that most restaurants aren't yet interested in?

Most of it's political, some of it is conservation.
Around the West coast we used to have LOTS AND LOTS of salmon. Fisherman and degrading environmental conditions decimated them, so now there are serious limits.
So, the fisherman went after the Rockfish. No one understood that their growth was very....very....very slow, reproductive maturity took decades for some species (especially the large long lived ones), and the largest ones were the best producers by far.
So, they wiped them out too and pretty much closed that fishery completely in some areas. So the fisherman just move to the areas that are open and start wiping them out there and fight like hell when the cry goes up to protect those areas.

Seems like for every overzealous fisherman there are overzealous conversationalists, and ignorant politicians caught in between that are about 10-20 years behind what is going on.

I personally don't think there is a fishery on the planet that is not over fished or endangered. Sustainable level fisheries is a political stance to try to minimize the fighting on both sides of the issue, to the detriment of the fishery.

Most of it's political, some of it is conservation.
Around the West coast we used to have LOTS AND LOTS of salmon. Fisherman and degrading environmental conditions decimated them, so now there are serious limits.
So, the fisherman went after the Rockfish. No one understood that their growth was very....very....very slow, reproductive maturity took decades for some species (especially the large long lived ones), and the largest ones were the best producers by far.
So, they wiped them out too and pretty much closed that fishery completely in some areas. So the fisherman just move to the areas that are open and start wiping them out there and fight like hell when the cry goes up to protect those areas.

Seems like for every overzealous fisherman there are overzealous conversationalists, and ignorant politicians caught in between that are about 10-20 years behind what is going on.

I personally don't think there is a fishery on the planet that is not over fished or endangered. Sustainable level fisheries is a political stance to try to minimize the fighting on both sides of the issue, to the detriment of the fishery.

I agree with most of this post and with your stance on sustainability and over fishing I was curious, do you eat seafood?

I am not trying to bash you but I have recently cut out certain seafood from my diet and was curious if other divers are doing this.

I use a list I found here

Printable Consumer Guides with Seafood and Sushi Recommendations from the Seafood Watch Program at the Monterey Bay Aquarium

Very good question.

I dive in a couple of the Marine Protected Areas in California and can attest to their success. These reefs were depleted of many species ten years ago and are now beginning to thrive. Some of the reefs outside the MPA border have some overspilll but are still quite desolate compared to the protected reef nearby. I believe it is in the fishermen's best interest to close some fisheries so that they don't go the way of the sardine industry in Central California.
BTW, I'm not really a tree hugger but I also don't eat seafood.

Back
Top Bottom