Don't Know How to Choose a Dive Computer for My BF's Birthday!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I'm completely new to diving (started 2 years ago and still have < 30 dives). I have no equipment of my own, and have ZERO knowledge on choosing any gear/equipment.

I plan to get my BF a dive computer but I don't know where to start. I've read through existing threads/discussions yet I've understood nothing! (Attached to this that, blablahblah..I just don't get those terms).

All I need to know is the brand and type that would suit my BF (and my budget - basically I'm looking for "the best value for money type of product - good price, and good quality). My BF doesn't dive that much either, maybe 30-40 dives a year and until now, he has always rented.

I know that he would like something that functions well, is comfortable to wear, looks stylish, and of course durable! Can anyone give me recommendation please? Possibly something < $500

Many thanks!

I have two recommendations for you:

- Give your BF a gift certificate (hand written is fine), for the amount you want to spend and then let him pick it out. To me, buying a dive computer is a very personal decision. I would not want anyone else to pick one out for me.

- Have your BF read this thread before he settles on what to buy:

So you want to buy a new computer?

I agree with stewart. I use shearwater petrels and the new one (predix) should be a great one also. They are easy to use with a logical menu system

what they said above and good luck...now go out and dive dive dive.

Another vote for the Shearwater Perdix.

It is WELL worth the extra $ above your initial budget. It is widely considered the best dive computer in the market for both rec and tech diving.

Last edited:
The plan to give a gift certificate may be a good one because if the computer he wants to get is a few more dollars perhaps he can kick in the extra. Now you can get a perfectly good dive computer for under $500 which will take care of your recreational dive needs but the Perdix is a very nice computer if any tec diving is in his future.

For rec diving only you can come close to getting his and hers computers for $500.

for a first time dive computer the oceanic veo 1 is affordable and give you nitrox capabilities. it's wrist mounted or can be clipped on.....now go out and dive dive dive.

VEO 1.0

I'm with Stuart, the gift certificate is a good idea. This is a reasonably large and important purchase, this way he will end up with what he wants.

Everyone on SB would have their own choice for a good, first computer, see all the vigorous debate in other threads on this topic. Everyone would have their own criteria. iamrushman's suggestion for an inexpensive Oceanic computer is a good one but, personally, I would opt the the Veo2 for 2 button maneuverability instead of one, a backlight, and the ability to download dives. It all depends on what's important to the individual diver. The Veo2 with download cable would run you about $400, about $140 more than the Veo1 alone.

Best of luck, your boyfriend is lucky you are thinking of getting him such a nice present

They all work well - the difference between most is the algorithm used to calculate all the dive functions. Generally speaking RGBM-based algorithms might give slightly longer bottom time - Suunto's otoh are built to be slightly more conservative. Based on your other criteria - most of the Suunto wrist models are out of your budget or very oversized.Other factors to consider are amount of hours/dives it will log and download capability. Most have download options - on the lower end it's often a cable/cradle that costs up to $100 extra since they make them proprietary. Most of those will include the software to track your dives and derive useful data like your sac rate etc.

define "looks stylish" - if you mean wearing it as a watch on dive vacations both the Veo and the Perdix fail at that IMO unless being used as a conversation starter on land because they're too oversized. A Veo in a boot is really thick. Plus $849 for the Perdix seems outside the budget. Shearwater is currently a favorite here on SB so people recommend them without paying attention to the posters wants/needs.

You might look at a Sherwood Amphos - it seems to fit all your criteria. Amphos Wrist Computer - CW6600 - $399
amphos.JPG
Or you could get his/hers Mares Puck Pro's for just under $500 - $480/2. Kind of bulky looking so you might want to see one b4 you buy.
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrspp/mares-puck-pro-wrist-computer
puck.JPG
A Scubapro Chromis is just over $500 and comes in a lot of different color combinations. It's sort of oversized also. http://www.leisurepro.com/p-utccrw/scubapro-chromis-wrist-computer $540-560 depending on color.
Capture.JPG
I know someone that wears an Oceanic Geo 2 all week on dive trips. It's just over 2" in dia. and 5/8ths thick. $429 list but I've seen them for less.
geo.JPG
Mares also has a new model I know nothing about - the Smart. http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrsswc/mares-smart-wrist-computer?RRref=productPage $399
smart.JPG

Last edited:
For tropical waters a Geo 2 would work well if you are looking are a
define "looks stylish" - if you mean wearing it as a watch on dive vacations both the Veo and the Perdix fail at that IMO unless being used as a conversation starter on land because they're too oversized. A Veo in a boot is really thick. Plus $849 for the Perdix seems outside the budget. Shearwater is currently a favorite here on SB so people recommend them without paying attention to the posters wants/needs.

You might look at a Sherwood Amphos - it seems to fit all your criteria. Amphos Wrist Computer - CW6600 - $399
View attachment 376599
Or you could get his/hers Mares Puck Pro's for just under $500 They look like an oversized watch so you might want to see one b4 you buy.
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrspp/mares-puck-pro-wrist-computer
View attachment 376600
A Scubapro Chromis is just over $500 and comes in a lot of different color combinations. It's sort of oversized also but people do wear them as watches. http://www.leisurepro.com/p-utccrw/scubapro-chromis-wrist-computer $540-560 depending on color.
View attachment 376601

I know someone that wears an Oceanic Geo all week on dive trips. It's just over 2" in dia. and 5/8ths thick. $429 list but I've seen them for less.
View attachment 376602

I agree with the above options..maybe add a Veo 2 into the mix. A petrel while nice, would be way more than you need. I agree that the hand written note with a "pick your dive computer up to $500" is the best option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom