Don't hit the hostages ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi

Contributor
Reaction score
Last night we did (non sanctioned) IDPA style shooting.

It does not help one's score if all the bullets hit the hostage directly and the bad guy is not hit at all. No, that was not me that did that. All of my shots hit the bad guys.

I was told that it was not acceptable, in one scenario, to push 3.5" of ATS-34 into the bad guy's throat.

I am still trying to figure out why in a "practical" match, with firearm concealed, I must rest my hands on the door, on the table, etc. Why not have a more realistic place for my hands? I'll leave it up to the comedians of SCUBABoard to determine where that might be :wink:

Locked and loaded. Dive well, shoot straight. Be safe.

El Orans:
And what would that be in layman's terms? :confused:

I don't understand the question. Are you asking what's IDPA?

International Defensive Pistol Association.

As "opposed" to IPSC which is International Practical Shooting Confederation.

What's the distinction? IPSC has drifted far from its roots; many of the pistols are far from "practical" in that they sport compensators, optical sights, competition holsters, etc.

IDPA is supposed to be more realistic but I've heard even they are becoming a bit ridiculous in their rules.

Way too violent for me......

Twenty years ago I used to shoot PPC. Back then someone might have the pistol "tuned" up a bit, but it was pretty basic equipment other than that.
Where to keep the hands? I'd say having a few pounds of weight in each hand to simulate carrying objects. Or even a small cardboard box held by both hands in front of your body. Again, a pretty common position you might find yourself in.
I think we can guess a couple other places you might want to stick your hands, just not so natural to being in public anyway :wink:

Dave

Dude, on the table.. in a resting positon.. thats the way all the good gunfighters of the Cowboy movies had it when they were accused of cheating at poker!

Personally, a truely realistic stance would be relieving yourself in the restroom.. standing or sitting, it doesn't matter, either way there isn't much to do to change position quickly for a defensive positon and draw weapon.

CBulla:
Dude, on the table.. in a resting positon.. thats the way all the good gunfighters of the Cowboy movies had it when they were accused of cheating at poker!

Personally, a truely realistic stance would be relieving yourself in the restroom.. standing or sitting, it doesn't matter, either way there isn't much to do to change position quickly for a defensive positon and draw weapon.

That second scenario sounds either "pissah" or really "crappy" depending on ...
If you are sitting, make certain you don't hang your pistol (or revolver) on the door hook.

Back
Top Bottom