Don't Be A Touron!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John A Lewis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ah, dive trip time.

When you finally get to go on those long-anticipated underwater excursions, see exotic locales, and interact with the locals.

But have you ever examined just what your behavior is really like from the standpoint of those local people?

Some of us have cringed inwardly when, in a foreign place, we see another act or speak inappropriately to our hosts (and have obviously forgotten the fact that they are guests in their country). They are the ones who never seem to have a filter on their actions or words.

In the Old Days, they would have been called--regardless of actual nationality--Ugly Americans. However, now that we are in the 21st Century, we are far more enlightened. We know them to be a combination of tourist and moron.

We call them Tourons.

You can find out more here.

Last edited:
Lol. As someone who lives on the coast that article is so true. I can't tell you how many people I've wanted to throat punch for feeding the seagulls, I honestly don't care if your kids find it cute. Also, there's a special place in hell for people who shake the sand out of their towels with the wind gusting down the beach.

We are more and more living in a society of self-absorbed narcissists who have no concept of civil behavior toward others in their own country, much less those from different countries and cultures. You don't have to look any farther than some of our presidential candidates, and that behavior extends like a cancer all the way down through our elementary schools. So sad to see, and know that it is here to stay.

Before you self-loath too much about your own nationality, you should understand that Tourons aren't limited to Americans, if you live in any area of the country where foreign tourists frequent you will quickly realize that Tourons are international, they come in every nationality on the planet that has the means to visit a foreign country.

As a good ambassador or the United States to visitors from other nations I don't hold being a Touron against any of them, instead I'm a mature enough adult to realize that anyone can make a faux pas in a foreign country them in mine and myself in theirs and the important thing is just recognizing we are all human beings and help foreign tourists navigate through the complex American culture just as I've benefited from others helping me when I've visited their country. Now carry on about the stupid subject of 'ugly americans'.

Before you self-loath too much about your own nationality, you should understand that Tourons aren't limited to Americans, if you live in any area of the country where foreign tourists frequent you will quickly realize that Tourons are international, they come in every nationality on the planet that has the means to visit a foreign country.

Thought the following made that clear, but I guess I was wrong:

In the Old Days, they would have been called--regardless of actual nationality--Ugly Americans.

As a good ambassador or the United States to visitors from other nations I don't hold being a Touron against any of them, instead I'm a mature enough adult to realize that anyone can make a faux pas in a foreign country them in mine and myself in theirs and the important thing is just recognizing we are all human beings and help foreign tourists navigate through the complex American culture just as I've benefited from others helping me when I've visited their country. Now carry on about the stupid subject of 'ugly americans'.
+1 One of the pleasures in visiting Bali is that the role of the ugly-american has been filled in an exemplary fashion by the Aussie's.

Saving face is so important in many S.E. countries. To be loud, obnoxious and/or demaning in public is a loss of face.

Yes we Aussies fill that role in Kuta but from the article linked - how about US visitors getting their head around this one -

Brush up on the local customs well before you arrive at a new destination. Research if tipping is common and if some gestures or actions are frowned on.

Bold is mine....please stop forcing US tipping culture onto Indo..LOB operators have already embraced it with relish to the detriment of people from other nations, id rather not have to tip everywhere for everything.

LOB operators have already embraced it with relish

There is your real fight don quixote, good luck

don't hate the players hate the game

Back
Top Bottom