Donning weight belt with crotch strap.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DolphinDiver

Reaction score
Just completed my first dives with my new TP II. I really like the fit and its stability so no problems underwater.

But, getting the weight belt on over the crotch strap is a pain. It means you have to don the bc with tank first, then the weight belt. Without the strap you can get the belt on and then put on the bc and tanks which is a lot easier.

So, question to crotch strap users (which would include all the bp/wing folks), what's the best way to don the bc and then weight belt?

Thanks

Wear your weight belt under your crotch strap.

Wow, quick response!

So, doesn't that make it hard to ditch the belt?
I seem to recall some other threads on whether belt goes under or over.

Weight belt goes under the crotch strap. if you need to ditch it you simply pull it away from your body before letting it go. You should be ditching a belt that way regardless of BC type.

WW

Makes sense. But, I can see a heavy belt getting caught up on the strap, especially if it is organized into a couple sections.

So, lets say you have 10 lbs on the left and 10 on the right. When you release the weight buckle the side you aren't holding will immediately swing down behind your back but still under the crotch strap. Then you have to pull the rest of the belt up and through at which point I can see the weights catching on the strap behind you. Seems pretty awkward - but I've not tried it myself so it's conjecture.

I had the same problem when I went to a BP/wing a couple months ago. I'm only diving single Al tanks so I retired the crouch strap. No problem so far.

Cavers put the belt under the crotch strap because they don't want to ditch the belt. The standard for non overhead environments is weight belt goes on last. This is to make it possible to ditch the belt in an emergency. In the last 20 years or so this has slowly fallen by the wayside because croth straps became more and more rare as horse collars disappeared from general use. Now that wings are gaining in popularity, we're seeing more croth straps again. Are you diving in overhead environments? If yes, put it under the crotch strap. If no, put it over the crotch strap.

I did my rescue class with everyone wearing bp/wings and never had a problem ditching the weight belt.

Also with it being under your crotch strap, if it accidently comes unbuckled then your crotch strap will catch it.

Unless you're in an overhead environment, the WB should not be under anything as it will get snagged, esp if you're using bricks on a web and not shot-bags or lose shot in pouches. Mr. Murphy is an avid diver and shows up regularly to intense situations. Don't give him anything to work with. :wink:

:thumb:

Losing weights on accident is bad news in any environment and I see it all the time. I also find alot of weight pouches from weight integrated bc's on the bottom. Wear the belt under. Practice ditching AT THE SURFACE. If you have trouble iron it out.

You shouldnt have very much weight on the belt anyway. With a 2 piece 6.5 mil suit and a bp I only have 4 pounds on my belt. I don't have any trouble ditching the belt.

Back
Top Bottom