Donating long hose with 90°?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, having a 90° actually improves things, because the hose doesn't have to end up on the receiver's right when sharing. It increases the options for positioning.

That said, since someone is bound to say it if I don't, why are you considering a 90° with a long hose? As the hose comes around your neck, it's a near perfect fit for a straight connection.
Now, I love a 90‐110° when I'm recreational and using a 48" hose under my arm. Streamlined and no pull when I turn my head. But I shouldn't need a swivel with long hose, unless I'm cheating with 60" and the coil is a little tight.

No, it's not a problem for the recipient. It's a benefit.

I like to have the long hose very tight around my body, that short length (behind my neck) provides some tension on my jaw that I want to eliminate. Additional question; I've been assuming a 90 degree is what I want, but you mentioned a 60 degree elbow, would that be better?

I like to have the long hose very tight around my body, that short length (behind my neck) provides some tension on my jaw that I want to eliminate. Additional question; I've been assuming a 90 degree is what I want, but you mentioned a 60 degree elbow, would that be better?

How are you routing your long hose? Shouldn't be that tight around your neck unless you're super tall. I also don't see the point of a 90 degree elbow on a long hose, definitely an additional unneeded failure point IMO.

Typical long hose routing is route down right side of body to waist, then up left side, around the back of the neck, and then into mouth. You should tuck excess hose in waist band OR preferably route underneath can light or knife sheath attached to waist band at right hip.

None. I used to use a 90 when 7' hoses were stiffer, now they are much more pliable (not milflex) so I found no reason for a 90.

Just make sure its a "true" 90 and not a 90 swivel. A 90 only adds an additional static O-ring, where the 90 swivel has at least one additional dynamic O-ring and they really do have a tendency to fail or come apart. I'm meticulous with my gear and i had one fail, as did my buddy. And I have seen lots of others bubbling or outright fail on dive boats.

you mentioned a 60 degree elbow, would that be better?
It depends upon two things: how the hose lies, and your reg shape. For example, the hose jams against my D420 with a 90° because of its narrow top. I need the bigger angle of a 110° to clear the exhaust tee.
Also, you may find that the reg twists slightly in your mouth with one or the other. Just have to try both and see...

How are you routing your long hose? Shouldn't be that tight around your neck unless you're super tall. I also don't see the point of a 90 degree elbow on a long hose, definitely an additional unneeded failure point IMO.

Typical long hose routing is route down right side of body to waist, then up left side, around the back of the neck, and then into mouth. You should tuck excess hose in waist band OR preferably route underneath can light or knife sheath attached to waist band at right hip.

I use standard routing (for a single tank) and tuck the excess into my waist band, I have just enough slack to be able to turn my head to the left. However I like to have it pretty tight so I don't have a large loop coming around my neck.

It shouldn't, just practice with it so your wrist doesn't do anything funky and behaves. The only times I had issues with it was when my hand was fumbling and I got it in a weird angle and had to readjust or was just a little wrist-sore after.

Also practice and check how the adapter makes the reg feel in your mouth. A 90 kept making mine feel pushed or uncomfortably inflexible, so I ended up switching to a 360, but ymmv

Here you go grab a 10 foot hose and cut 2 feet off

full.jpg

https://www.techdivinglimited.com/Low-Pressure-Regulator-Hose-p/hose-lp-super.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom