Donating Blood & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blood donar longer than I've been a diver. When I first started diving, I never gave it a thought. I never have any side effects from donating. I never kept track of when I donated with relation to when I went diving. As I became more interested in decompression theory, the possibility of a DCS hit after a donation was something that came to mind. In 1989 (possibly '88) at a YMCA Convention, I asked a DAN representitive, Joel Dovenbarger, this same question. He advised me to wait 48 hours after donating. Apparently, they are now recommending a 72 hour wait. I've followed this practice of waiting 48 hours from that time until recently with no ill effects. For the past couple of years scheduling has prevented me from following a 48 hour rule, it's usually closer to 34 - 36 hours when I make my first dive.

WWW™

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom