Dona Marilyn has been salvaged!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And then what happened? It must take a very long time to have done that. Hours? Days?
And where were the authorities then?

Greed!!! Hope they hang the guilty parties.

The barge was there for maybe 48hrs, 1/3 of the wreck is gone. CoastGuard has impounded the vessel and will file a case. Local municipality is also trying to gather evidence to file a case.

Watch this space.

Excellent news so far, other than the damage done to this point.

Maybe this is an opportunity to set an example for other illegal salvagers. Unfortunately these problems are not isolated to the Philippines. :(

I am glad that the authorities have the perpetrators and their vessel. All too often these operations work through the night and avoid detection. Big cheers to the Philippine Coast Guard and the Mayor of Daanbantayan.

Honest question. Why do ppl salvage what to me seems like an invaluable shipwreck? It’s not a Spanish galleon loaded with gold coins...why is it valuable? Looks like hunks of twisted up rusted metal.

Honest question. Why do ppl salvage what to me seems like an invaluable shipwreck? It’s not a Spanish galleon loaded with gold coins...why is it valuable? Looks like hunks of twisted up rusted metal.
I don't condone it but they take it just for the scrap value. Depending on where you are steel is say 115 dollars a ton. I dont know the exact specs on the ship but it is probably near or over 2500 ton. That 250k-300k worth of scrap. They picked up1/3 of it in 48hrs by what matt_reed said. 50k a day around about...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom