Dominican Republic - the non-AI, non-hotel accommodation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Where is the best diving in DR? I heard Bayahibe, is that right?

Hey can someone who has been to DR comment on accommodation that is not AI or hotel, and pref a good bit away from major resorts and tourist areas, especially cruise ship areas? What kind of accomodation scene is it, are there hostels and airbnb and such?
And please comment if there is any dive shop scene not associated w the hotels and resorts?

For reference, what I am looking to do is rent a car from the airport, drive to wherever will be my basecamp, go diving probably 3days, maybe a night dive if possible, and maybe spend 1-2 days (total, including driving from Santo Domingo or whatever airport) driving around DR, checking out some hikes, beaches, etc. Not interested in restaurants geared for foreigners, also prefer to avoid "shore excursions" or anything with too many cruise ship people.

any advice is appreciated

Check out ScubaFun...John operates an apartment over the dive shop which is right in the little fishing village of Bayahibe. It is super clean and very nice...you will fell like a local!

Hi wildpreservation,

I dove with the Sharky´s Shop with my friend last year. They are small private dive centre so it was just our instructor and me, my friend and captain on the boat. We went out to do the dives on the dive sites of our choice. They also do not limit the dive times and we could stay underwater as much as possible. We had lot of fun and we will use them again when we visit DR. They arrange a transportation from airport for us and we stayed in Viva Wyndham resort in Dominicus (near to Bayahibe about 5minutes) and they pick us every morning and took us back after dives. They have accommodation options on they website with a lot of information. Scuba Diving Dominican Republic or you can check them on TripAdvisor as Diving Dominican Republic.

I hope this will be helpful and enjoy your vacation.

Hi!

Bayahibe and "Isla Catalina" it´s the best place to make Scuba in DR, but if you want to make more things, I think Samana it´s much better. We have a lot of nature and much more things to do.

In Bayahibe, you have 3 dive centers in the principal street! Coral Point, Casa Daniel and Scuba Fun, I know Coral Point and Casa Daniel and both are great!

ScubaFun is the place to go in Bayahibe. I've never stayed at this apartment, but I plan to on the next trip.

Back
Top Bottom