Dominica Trip Report and Slideshow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cindy,

Are you planning to post a trip report when you return.
We are going with LDS to Dominica & Ft. Young Hotel
in late July and would love to hear @ your experience.

Thanks
Randy

Randy,
Most definetly will post a dive report. I hope to be able to post my pics too. I am using a new camera and set up so it will be interesting to see how I do.

Cindy

Sea Angel

If you are using the Carribbean Star/Sun (a partner of USair), they will tag your bags all the way to Dominica. You should not have to claim your bags in Antigua. If you do not have to claim your bags in Antigua, do not go through customs, go straight to the Carribbean Star/Sun desk which is inside the departure area. You should be able to work out everything you need to do at this desk without every leaving the departure area.

I wondered also about this, I was told by our leader that there is a 15lb weight limit on the carry on, did you have that?

I dont remember them checking weight for carryons, but there is not alot of room on the Carribbean Star/Sun plane, so you better have a small carryon bag.

seaangel:
We are staying at Ft. Young Hotel, since we have 43 people going it was the largest place that could accomodate this group. I don't know the dive operators are. Hope, to
have a great time though.

Cindy

I'm going to the Ft Young as well in late june. They use Dive Dominica - the shop associated with Castle Comfort.

Thanks both ddawson and acrodog. I thought that they probably used the same dive operators, just wasnt sure.

I guess I may need to look at the carry on issue some more. My carry on bag is small, but I was looking at also a tote bag I have as my purse for some misc. items that don't fit into the carry on. It is actually a bit larger in size than the carry on. Hmm, this is going to be very interesting inded. Most of those that travel in my group are gear hogs, and carry way more than is needed so I imagine they will have a bigger problem than me.

I will pass on this information to our group leader, she will appreciate it I am sure.

I will give a trip report when we return. Thanks again.

Cindy

Cindy

Look forward to your trip report. We go early in July. Travelling via Antigua. All these comments are helpful. Will be interested to hear how you get on with the carry-on luggage.

Have a great trip.

Hey, just thought I would share. I talked to the trip organizer from my LDS. She has been in constant communication with the Hotel manager, and our travel agent about the baggage weight limits. Since we have the largest group that they have flown in yhet (43) and we are dropping quite a chunk of change they are looking at waiving the extra cost of for the overpoundage. Didn't say if they would hold those bags and fly them in on the next flight though.

Another thing, the travel agent is asking other agents and groups to question this airfare baggage weight of 50# total per person to be questioned. Call, e-mail, whatever Ft. Young hotel and have the manager know that is a rediculous amount for divers to adhere to.

They want to help and also want our business. Maybe they can get it raised to a more reasonable weight. My dive bag weight is 12# empty, that doesn't leave much for gear and clothes!

I am not overpacking, but my this is absurd that I am having to resort to weighing out different bags empty to find the lightest ones to use!

So, go ahead and let Ft. Young know if you think it is too restrictive.

Thanks,
Cindyh

seaangel:
Another thing, the travel agent is asking other agents and groups to question this airfare baggage weight of 50# total per person to be questioned. Call, e-mail, whatever Ft. Young hotel and have the manager know that is a rediculous amount for divers to adhere to.

So, go ahead and let Ft. Young know if you think it is too restrictive.

Thanks,
Cindyh

I'm confused. I thought this 50 lb weight limit (plus a carry on) was imposed by the airlines - what does Ft. Young have to do with the limit?

For the life of me I don't really understand that either. I think that the manager has some friends or clout with the country there and has gotten involved because well, he wants our business and is working to maintain good relations to bring in the divers. He has been working as a laison with the travel agency, and the airlines. But, I really don't know the exact relationships of all of the three to each other.

But, since our group has 43 in it, he sure would not want bad things said about travel to there, it could hurt future group business I guess. Would be better for business if we had a good experience right?

I am still going to pack as if there is the 50lb limit, just to be on the safe side.

Weather Channel is showing alot of storm activity down that way, I hope it moves on out!

Cindy

We have been given a new baggage weight to go by. Caribbean Star/Sun has decided to allow the same weight limit for our luggage as US Airways, which is 50# per bag. That really will help out.

Also, if necessary our baggage will be flown in on a second plane, not on one the next day. They said if they had to put the luggage on another plane because of excess weight (passengers, but they will not ask us our weight or weigh us) they would send the luggage on a plane ahead of us. Hmm... I wonder how that will work? We do have some very large divers in our group. So, this may be interesting.

I have got my carry on down to a more reasonable weight too, have moved some things into the check in luggage. Just looking at what would I need for an extra day if my bags don't get there. That is helping with that situation. My backpack weighs exactly 15lbs, and I still have the tote bag for my personal bag but it is not heavy.
I have put my dive computer in it and all the lightest things I can in it.

I will keep you posted on how things go with this.

Cindy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom