Dominica Trip Report and Slideshow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When we used Carribean Star?Sun (Barbados-St Vincent) about 2 years ago, as long as it was all one ticket their website said they would allow the higher limits from the international airline. The lower limits were for regional travel. I just looked, Carribean Sun website still says this. Carribean Star does not but their website is just sparser in geenral, I would think it would be similar as they're so closely associated.) Maybe they just don't want these flights to be inter-island freight, or maybe it's related to their partnership with USAir.

In our case it wasn't even one ticket because we had FF tickets on USAir but FF seats weren't available on the interisland flight. It was still no problem, they knew we were coming on USAir from the US since they had to go get our bags.* I think I made a point of mentioning it was all booked at the same time through USAir and why it had to be separate tickets. Printing the info from the website in case you need to "remind" them might be a good idea but we didn't have to do that.

*Of course, they promptly lost said checked bags for a day in Barbados (airport under construction and seemed pretty confused at the time.) The CS rep in St. Vincent appeared not to care at all, had to be pushed to even fill out the paperwork and bother doing anything about it! We were staying at a nice resort with no phones, the resort did a good job of staying on top of them until the bags got delivered.

Well, I am into the final countdown now for Dominica! I am all packed and ready as I will ever get.

I looked at their website and didn't see anything about the one ticket for luggage weight limits. Will look again at that and print it out too! Thanks.

I have a question hopefully someone will see this and answer before I leave. It is about the dive conditions there. How would you say the currents and seas usually run? Also, as for rain and wind did anyone have any experience with that while diving there?

I ask because on the weather.com I am seeing forecasts of 60% rainstorms and wind from 14 to 21 mph (on one day) Most of the other days are 10-15mph wind. How does that effect the dive conditions there? Oh, yes the wind is coming from the East.

I haven't been seasick in quite a few years, but that high of a wind sounds like I may need to be prepared just in case.

Hope someone has some information that they can share on this.

Cindy

from http://www.flycsa.com/index.cfm?pgType=tips&Chosen_Tip=7
If passengers are ticketed on one document (one airline document providing continuous travel for the entire flight) as in one ticket being used on different airlines then we will accept this international baggage at an allowance of 2 pieces per passenger not to exceed 50lbs per piece while regional travelers baggage allowance must not exceed 50lbs total.

We're flying American from San Juan to Dominica - their weight limit is just like Delta from Atlanta to San Juan: for each person: 2 checked bags @ 50 lbs. each and a single carry on @ 40 lbs.

Wonder why Caribbean Sun is different? Smaller planes?

Damselfish,
Thanks, did you notice that this is all written under the Carry-on's and if you read under the Check In baggage it just states 50# total limits. I find that curious. It also is very explicit that they allow only one Carry on per person. I still can't get all of my carry on into just my back pack, I need my tote bag and will have to stuff my camera bag into it with my book, small cosmetic bag, ( I don't wear much makeup, but do need a few things), sunglasses and my passport, etc.

So, I guess I will be finding out if they allow it.

I believe that they are smaller planes, I have been on some similar before. A lot of locals that use these to island hop try to carry their homes with them on board and these rules are usually to keep down all their excess baggage.

Cindy

seaangel:
Damselfish,
Thanks, did you notice that this is all written under the Carry-on's and if you read under the Check In baggage it just states 50# total limits.
yeah, I think that is just sloppy website writing. As they're certainly not talking about allowing 2-50# carryons. It's like they're trying to ease the pain of the carry on limitations, so they mention this other thing.

How would you compare Dominica to say Roatan, for reefs From the photos I looked elswhere, Dominica reefs looked alot like RTB's reefs. Also I am looking into going there, but want more than two tank dives a day. Any info on who does more dives would help me out greatly.

diverrick

How would you compare Dominica to say Roatan, for reefs From the photos I looked elswhere, Dominica reefs looked alot like RTB's reefs. Also I am looking into going there, but want more than two tank dives a day. Any info on who does more dives would help me out greatly.

If you see my report at the beginning of this thread or go to my web page,
I answer these questions. But the short answer is that NID will let you do three dives a day, and the diving on Dominica is a step up from the Bay Islands. I have been to Dominica twice and to Bay Islands twice (Roatan and Utila)

OK thanks I go back a re read your report, i didn't see that info in there the first time around

I am back. I had a wonderful time, and will be posting a full report as soon as I can get things settled back into a norm.

Just to give a brief report tonight though, travel in and out was the worst part of the trip! Diving was awesome, hotel very good, food good, shopping really good and in general a really great trip.

I will be back with more soon.

Cindy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom