Dominica...everything I should know but don't

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And apparently all that rain Forest is now gone, the island flattened, by Hurricane Maria. Thank you for this image of how it was.
This is a stupid, mean-spirited, nonsense post. The rain forest is still there, of course, and the island is not flat. Jeez.
A lot of people lost roofs, the very southern part is in bad shape, many roads are damaged.
And some people lost lives.
I'm stunned you make fun of it.

I heard that they just donated their hurricane supplies to the other islands like Sint Maarten (Saint Martin) after the hurricane Irma disaster there. Now they themselves got blasted by hurricane Maria & have nothing for themselves.

This is a stupid, mean-spirited, nonsense post. The rain forest is still there, of course, and the island is not flat. Jeez.
A lot of people lost roofs, the very southern part is in bad shape, many roads are damaged.
And some people lost lives.
I'm stunned you make fun of it.
I didn't get the sense they were making fun of anything, but rather making a poignant comment.

"Flattened" (not flat) is a word in common used in the media describing places that have taken a serious blow like this. They'll probably get more accurate as more information is available (if they don't forget all about it.) "Gone" is another word in common use that also may not be 100% accurate if taken 100% literally. It's shorthand or soundbites that attempt to describe the extent of the damage compared to other places. And maybe a bit of drama.

I think most people, or at least anyone who is interested in these places and travels there, understand the forest is not literally "gone" but will grow back, a lot of it quickly. In the short term, if someone uses the word "gone" to describe lots of trees down and I imagine things pretty much exfoliated, big whoop. It's perhaps inaccurate, but "stupid, mean-spirited, nonsense?" Sheesh.

I didn't get the sense they were making fun of anything, but rather making a poignant comment.

"Flattened" (not flat) is a word in common used in the media describing places that have taken a serious blow like this. They'll probably get more accurate as more information is available (if they don't forget all about it.) "Gone" is another word in common use that also may not be 100% accurate if taken 100% literally. It's shorthand or soundbites that attempt to describe the extent of the damage compared to other places. And maybe a bit of drama.

I think most people, or at least anyone who is interested in these places and travels there, understand the forest is not literally "gone" but will grow back, a lot of it quickly. In the short term, if someone uses the word "gone" to describe lots of trees down and I imagine things pretty much exfoliated, big whoop. It's perhaps inaccurate, but "stupid, mean-spirited, nonsense?" Sheesh.
I'm stunned you condone such inaccurate and misleading language.

Not condoning anything. Simply stating the way things are and trying to see things from someone else's point of view.

I'm stunned you accuse someone of being stupid and mean-spirited with no justification. I gather you are very fond of the island. Perhaps it has made you overly sensitive to any perceived slight.

Someone looking for offense, where no offense was intended, is one of my pet peeves.

Not condoning anything. Simply stating the way things are and trying to see things from someone else's point of view.

I'm stunned you accuse someone of being stupid and mean-spirited with no justification. I gather you are very fond of the island. Perhaps it has made you overly sensitive to any perceived slight.

Someone looking for offense, where no offense was intended, is one of my pet peeves.
And one of my pet peeves is someone defending stupid comments. Perhaps you have not paid attention to the misery in the islands, especially Dominica, right now. Stupid comments about rain forests being gone and the island being flattened are wrong, unhelpful, and thoughtlessly crass. Go ahead and say nothing bad was intended. It does not change the accuracy or crassness of the post. Think before posting is not a bad policy.

Or perhaps I have paid much attention, and am very sad for them. Are you implying that I have not, again with no basis?

I agree think before posting is not a bad policy.

Probably time to stop derailing the thread. I'll shut up now.

Thank you, this was my intention. Dominica has been ignored by the media here in Canada for the most part. Dominicans will need lots of support to rebuild, and like Barbuda, I hope the media does not forget them. I found Agilis' post indeed poignant.

Thank you, this was my intention. Dominica has been ignored by the media here in Canada for the most part. Dominicans will need lots of support to rebuild, and like Barbuda, I hope the media does not forget them. I found Agilis' post indeed poignant.
I apologize for reading your post as it was written, not as it was intended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom