Doing Tech+Cave on a RB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X:
Which MCCR? Kiss Classic, Sport or Pelagian? Personally, I've kept all my doubles, and OC gear. I use them to bank gases, and when you don't feel like bothering with the RB the doubles are so handy. :D If it's a KISS Classic , best to have hands like ET. Gotta squeeze in those tight areas.

X

none of the above. have 13 t bottles so banking isn't a problem, have a haskel to boost, and a small compressor, so I'm pretty much set up.

I'll keep some oc gear, just for rec diving, and traveling

surface interval? we don need no stinking surface interval...

cute story, was on a boat in BC, divers choice, just came back from a hour or so dive down to 140ish on the Cape breton, sitting in the settee sipping soup and a numpty chick gets back on the boat whining that she lost her weight belt and the shop owner she rented it from was going to charge her $150 for replacement and would any of yalll kind divers go get it for her. "I'll pay you $75 if you can find it and bring it back" My buddy Scott and I looked at each other for about .5 seconds and went "OK!" we had been out of the water about 10 minutes and strapped on the trusty CCR's and splashed again to the keel of the boat at 140, (judging from the wind, and where we were tied up, we figured the belt missed the boat and landed in the sand behind it )spent another 20 min on the bottom looking around the fantail of the ship. finally gave up and headed back up to the line, when i saw the belt hanging half on, half off the flight operations deck, bagged it, swam it over to the line and started up, 7 min of deco on the clock, hardly worth waiting for... There REALLY is an advantage to CCR and constant PO2 diving. I wonder if some really smart deco professor could do a spreadsheet on depth's, time and constant PO2 vs Fo2 diving.

never got the 75, the beach renigged on the deal, but did give me a smooch on the cheek, hardly worth the effort, but I did get 3 dives that day instead of 2. hehehe

Yeah, between the extended NDLs and the chick magnetism, you could almost forgive them for trying to kill ya and every opportunity. :D

Mr.X:
Additionally, there were a few SCR Atlantis units modified to use trimix - late 90's.
Worked fine from what I could tell.
Early on Dräger had planned an 80m version, and a couple of prototypes were build.
ANDI trained the Dräger staff and set up a class for it. The unit came up in sevral papers/transcripts from Dräger, and some of the ANDI affiliates had the course listed on their websites. Alas, Dräger decided against it.

A few years back a couple of units were converted with commercial switchblocks for a Scapa Flow expedition. They showed the units to Dräger engineers, got some advice and even some parts for their project. Went well IIRC, aside from one unit not arriving in time at the destination. The article was in a German dive mag, the pics were unfortunately so small that the mods were barely visible.

caveseeker7:
Early on Dräger had planned an 80m version, and a couple of prototypes were build.
ANDI trained the Dräger staff and set up a class for it. The unit came up in sevral papers/transcripts from Dräger, and some of the ANDI affiliates had the course listed on their websites. Alas, Dräger decided against it.

A few years back a couple of units were converted with commercial switchblocks for a Scapa Flow expedition. They showed the units to Dräger engineers, got some advice and even some parts for their project. Went well IIRC, aside from one unit not arriving in time at the destination. The article was in a German dive mag, the pics were unfortunately so small that the mods were barely visible.

Man O' man, Stefan, you are one thorough dude. With a recall like that, I'd hazzard to guess you've never smoked pot...

caveseeker7:

Hey Caveseeker (Stefan),

Was this ANDI US? Were the hot rod mods. on an Atlantis unit? I remember a non-standard orifice being used to run a stream of trimix or an "adapted" standard orifice.

If anything, liability purposes downed the project. In the end, these hot rods were a stop gap between more capable and rarer units. The dominant exploration CCR at this time was the Cis and the Mk's. The Insp. had been out just a year and got off to a shaky start, the Prism was on a 6 month to one year wait. The AURA units were ??? The very cruddy Biomarine unit was also out too. 1998-99.

If anything, in a period less than a decade the state of the art has dramatically improved, and with new offerings here and there it'll be interesting to see how this niche market grows.

Again, for the majority of NDL divers I would say stay on OC. It isn't worth the added expense, or hassle. Sure, they're fascinating and all. When they work, they work very well. The benefits far outweighing OC constraints. IMO it's really is a tool for specialized applications - like trying to get a weightbelt and having almost unlimited time to do it (salvage), deep penetration, critter encounter etc.

So recognizing that the OP's limits for cave (anyone's for that matter) would be limited by the amount of bailout carried, would you still recommend skipping cave on OC?

Mr.X:
Was this ANDI US?
I believe so.

Were the hot rod mods. on an Atlantis unit? I remember a non-standard orifice being used to run a stream of trimix or an "adapted" standard orifice.
It's been a while since I've read those transcripts ... probably went in the trash with my old PowerMac 7500/100. :11: But as far as I can remember they were calling it the Dolphin 80, not the Atlantis 80. Could well be that the Scapa Dolphins are clouding my memory.

If anything, liability purposes downed the project. In the end, these hot rods were a stop gap between more capable and rarer units.
Remember Dräger building and testing the SMS2000 CCRs. At least for a while they were considering joining the big league. May have been another factor.

rjack321:
So recognizing that the OP's limits for cave (anyone's for that matter) would be limited by the amount of bailout carried, would you still recommend skipping cave on OC?

well, since step1 when a loss of gas occurs on a CCR seems to be to switch to SCR, maybe you actually get to continue the dive further into the cave on SCR with the breather, the best of both worlds :)

CCRDolphinDiver:
surface interval? we don need no stinking surface interval...

cute story, was on a boat in BC, divers choice, just came back from a hour or so dive down to 140ish on the Cape breton, sitting in the settee sipping soup and a numpty chick gets back on the boat whining that she lost her weight belt and the shop owner she rented it from was going to charge her $150 for replacement and would any of yalll kind divers go get it for her. "I'll pay you $75 if you can find it and bring it back" My buddy Scott and I looked at each other for about .5 seconds and went "OK!" we had been out of the water about 10 minutes and strapped on the trusty CCR's and splashed again to the keel of the boat at 140, (judging from the wind, and where we were tied up, we figured the belt missed the boat and landed in the sand behind it )spent another 20 min on the bottom looking around the fantail of the ship. finally gave up and headed back up to the line, when i saw the belt hanging half on, half off the flight operations deck, bagged it, swam it over to the line and started up, 7 min of deco on the clock, hardly worth waiting for... There REALLY is an advantage to CCR and constant PO2 diving. I wonder if some really smart deco professor could do a spreadsheet on depth's, time and constant PO2 vs Fo2 diving.

never got the 75, the beach renigged on the deal, but did give me a smooch on the cheek, hardly worth the effort, but I did get 3 dives that day instead of 2. hehehe

So you did an hour bottom time at 140? What was the deco like, what runtime?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom