Doing my first (Puget Sound) boat dive this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GatorJoe

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
going to dive the possession sound ferry (kehloken) from my boat. (yes we will have a capt) been reading about it and it sounds like a good dive. we've dove off boats plenty in cancun so i am not worried about it. just worried about finding the actual wreck. any tips for anyone who has dove on it?

going to dive the possession sound ferry (kehloken) from my boat. (yes we will have a capt) been reading about it and it sounds like a good dive. we've dove off boats plenty in cancun so i am not worried about it. just worried about finding the actual wreck. any tips for anyone who has dove on it?

I haven't been on the Possession Point Ferry ( Possesion Point Ferry - Dive Site Review ), but I have been on the Al-Ind-Esk-A-Sea ( Submerged Cultural Resources Exploration Team - Al-Ind-Esk-A-Sea ) in Puget Sound.

The water is cold - I noted 45F in my log book - I was using a 800g undergarment under my drysuit, but only had neoprene wet gloves. Really need dry gloves for a dive like this - Our runtime was near 120 minutes, so deco was pretty miserable with hands that cold.

There was a layer from the surface to 40' of some type of bio-mass (very small, white critters) that made the viz about 10'. The drop from 50' to 230' had viz better than 50', but *very* dark because of the mass above blocking out light.

The Al-Ind-Esk-A-Sea sits 1/2 mile offshore in the channel (right off the Navy base), and the current is usually moving pretty well. Surface conditions (this was July 17th of last year) were pleasant but choppy.

Looking at the dive you're doing, it's a good bit shallower, but the water temp will probably be close. The site I link to above also mentions lower viz and sensitivity to tides.

Have a good dive!

Back
Top Bottom