Doff and don

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricky B

Contributor
Reaction score
Aside to pass certification testing, is there a need to be able to doff and don one's cylinder/BC? Under what circumstances would one either doff or doff and don?

Entanglement. Might need to doff, cut whatever is entangling, and don.

Doff any time you need to climb into a RIB. Absolutely necessary skill. Learn not to remove BCD until you have removed weight belt (never forget ankle weights - better yet never wear them for same reason) and added air to suit and shut vent if wearing a drysuit. Also learn to get the BCD off and hang onto it until someone in the RIB can pull it up.

In an emergency. If you need to swim a long distance or swim while towing someone, you go faster w/o BCD. Your exposure suits will float you and the BCD would create incredibly much drag.

Doff & don any time you get in the water, then realize that you/buddy need something from the boat or need something done (happens a fair bit, something is wrong/forgotten/breaks). If you don't need to take BCD & tank back onto boat to fix whatever your problem is , you tie it off & leave the gear so you can climb up w/o it (beacuse it's heavy and bulky). If it's your buddy that causes the delay you too might get out to wait until buddy is ready w/o getting as cold as if you had waited in water.

There is a need to be comfortable without the regulator in your mouth; there is a need to be familiar with your equipment, particularly the releases; there is a need to be able to clear your mask comfortably and efficiently; and there is a need to be accustomed to some task loading without undue stress. The doff and don, in my opinion, is good practice and a good test of those skills, though I'm sure there are other ways.

I had to remove my BPW with doubles yesterday at 22M in order to free my lower left dump valve cord that was trapped behind the SS plate making it difficult to dump air.

I could have used the LP inflator to dump but I am so used to using the lower dump valve I just took it off, unscrewed the lower wing nut, pulled the cord free then reassembled it and put it back on. Long hose made it all the easier.

Go to Monterey and swim thru the Kelp and you'll understand when you might need to...

Two times I've taken it off (did not put back on).
1. Getting into a small boat by flipping over the side.
2. Exiting on a rock/cliff shore due to cramping (the long surface swim back to beach entry point was not a good choice). Rocks were somewhat slippery and lots of wave swells. Getting up there was probably impossible with the belt & tank weight on.

Aside to pass certification testing, is there a need to be able to doff and don one's cylinder/BC? Under what circumstances would one either doff or doff and don?

The best I can give you is it is a comfort/confidence level - the more you practice any skills the better you get. You do not want to find yourself in the position of needing to Doff/Don and starting to feel the panic swell up because you are not sure where to start. Practice, Practice, Practice. But know if you do happen upon a time you need to use a skill you have mastered the skill and can use it any time - others have mentioned but I have my son clear the mask, Doff and Don, Buddy Breath not using the Octo, Compass work, and deploy a lift bag. I want him to become comfortable so that if something comes up not on the list - the first thing I want him to do is think before acting.

There is a need to be comfortable without the regulator in your mouth; there is a need to be familiar with your equipment, particularly the releases; there is a need to be able to clear your mask comfortably and efficiently; and there is a need to be accustomed to some task loading without undue stress. The doff and don, in my opinion, is good practice and a good test of those skills, though I'm sure there are other ways.

Thank you all for the responses.

Vladimir, I am confused by the comments about regulator removal and mask clearing. I don't disagree that those are important skills (and I have had those skills for more than 30 years), but are they involved in doffing and donning? What I was taught and what I practiced for my checkout dives did not taking out my reg or taking off my mask.

Ricky B,

I imagine some folks are referencing the "Doff and Don" (Ditch and Don?) as everything goes to the bottom of the pool, including mask and fins...go down, get it, and put it on.

Some are likely referencing "Remove and Replace"...take the scuba unit off and put it on. Reg stays in the mouth, you are only taking off the "scuba unit".

Regarding the circumstances of why? I admit to having the tank band loosen when I was at about 50 feet. The tank slipped right out. I had to take it off, put the tank back in, and put it back on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom