Does your throat get really dry when you dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Never mind. Did a search like I should have in the first place.

Maybe take in a little ocean water and swish it around?

Usually this is a latter symptom of dehydration, but in reference to the OP, Fairybasslet has been around the block. Very few divers drink enough water pre-dive and commonly most such concerns can easily be remedied by pounding down water.

If you dive for an hour and don't have to pee, that usually means you're dehydrated.

I am extremely hydrated always. I bring a lot of wetsuit shampoo when I travel.:D

I'm going to try the trick someone mentioned in another post. About putting water in your mouthpiece before hand. I don't like the idea of the bio filter and mints between my cheek and teeth led to some dental problems. I fear the same kind of thing if I use that lemon starburst pushed against the back of the front teeth like someone else mentioned. I've had some really bad coughing underwater at times. Last few dives were not too bad so it's a sometimes thing.

If you dive for an hour and don't have to pee, that usually means you're dehydrated.

Or you have good bladder control?

Having learnt in drysuits and work on a boat for up to 10 hours a day i very rarely need a toilet break or get dehydrated and coming up to dive 500 without ever having peed in my wetsuit or the water. A better way to check, for us gents its easy, is what colour is your pee! If it is very dark you need more water! Keep drinking until you pee clear ;-)

I am extremely hydrated always. I bring a lot of wetsuit shampoo when I travel.:D

I'm going to try the trick someone mentioned in another post. About putting water in your mouthpiece before hand. I don't like the idea of the bio filter and mints between my cheek and teeth led to some dental problems. I fear the same kind of thing if I use that lemon starburst pushed against the back of the front teeth like someone else mentioned. I've had some really bad coughing underwater at times. Last few dives were not too bad so it's a sometimes thing.

Rubbing some toothpaste into your mouthpiece can help too, hopefully w/o the dental issues.

Yes cos it's like..air...lol!

I realised if I let salt water enter.it makes it worse =\!

I found that gargling with Oasis mouthwash before a dive remedied the problem. Walmarts.

I found that gargling with Oasis mouthwash before a dive remedied the problem. Walmarts.

I never heard of this and there's no Walmarts around me, but I'll look for it at CVS. Thanks.

Even when fully hydrated (warming my wetsuit every 15 minutes) my throat and mouth do get dry. I usually end up having a coughing fit. I've been told the only way to correct this is to switch to a rebreather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom