Does your throat get really dry when you dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in the Pacific Northwest, hydration doesn't seem to be a problem.

However (I'm serious about this!), I used to smoke cigars on offshore fishing trips, and then dive the next day = sore raspy throat. I figure my body was telling me something, so I quit cigars, except on really special occasions when I will not be diving soon.

Can i just check that the original poster understands why they get a dry mouth??

Can i just check that the original poster understands why they get a dry mouth??

My boyfriend is a lousy kisser?:D

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but I've started taking hard candy on the boat (spitting it out before diving of course). It helps me not get too dry. Plus I then have the peppermint smell that is alledgedly a shark deterent (J/K)

Last edited:
Never had the issue to any great extent, but I've always used a metal second stage and I have been told (don't know if it's true) that the metal will cause some condensation which will help moisten the air. Sounds reasonable at least.

I had just posted a query in the equipment forum about this (Biofilter) and someone responded that the newer regulators exhaust some of the exhaled air back into the regulator which will increase the the humidity to the incoming air. I was getting dry mouth with my rental gear. I purchased my own gear and went diving last Sunday and I had no issues. I did super hydrate before and after each dive. Not to be too frank but I was peeing like a race horse.

TBH i think a lot of this"condensed air" "recyced air" is placebo!

The air in your tank is near 100% dry to pevent corrision inside the tank. As such everyone will get a dry throat. Its just that some of us get used to it and not really notice. As for exhaled breath condensing on the inside and they you re-inhale that, well i suppose that could add a tiny fraction, but id like to see some sort of evidence! Same effect could be had by removing your reg, filling it with water and then repalcing since now the inside is really wet!

The swishing salt water, i would advise against. Yes it will releive the thrist short term but will dehyrate you more as the salt you absorb in your mouth is extracted along with water by your body.

(sorry about typing work keyboard and no spell check)

Funny how it didn't happen to me when I was a newer diver. Just like getting cold. I used to be fine in a 3mm in 80 degree water. Now I need a 5mm.

Never used one personally, but I know a few friends that are deep/tech divers that carry those hydration bladders (camelbacks) that you take hiking. They make some small sizes that fit into the pockets of their BCD or clip onto their harnesses. Seems to work out well for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom