Does this seem expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Nitrox class cost $125.00 (I think they charge 135.00 now), including all course materials, the 3 plastic cards (32% table/36% table/EAD & MOD & saturation card) a video that you check out and return, and two dives. They made their money from me on new tanks and stickers. And of course, continuous EAN fills! :D

Rick, that's a good point. A shop that needs to make their money on the class itself will charge more. This may be due to location (not much diving available, for instance) or other factors. So they may NOT get any further income after one does a class (transient dive population instead of local, perhaps).

Shops that can turn over money from students after a course (fills, gear, trips, dives, more courses etc) may have more flexibiity in price structuring etc and the course itself may be a "better" deal. As always, it sure does pay to ask questions and shop around!

I just did mine with a shop in the keys, $200 included the tables, book, and the 2 dives. However, whatever is available beats whatever is not available :wink:

Would it be a major faux pas to buy the course material elsewhere? Ebay for example. I know the shop has to make money to stay in business, but I want to hold on to that much as much as possible (I'm enlisted in the AF and married, not a lot of extra funds floating around)

I'm taking EAN in June. It's $145 (instruction and book) and I'm doing it in parallel with my AOW, so I don't have to pay for additional dives.

We charge $150 ... We usually include book and tables in the cost. The price seems a bit pricey, but it may be what the market can justify.

Good luck!

jcf

Concerning the price: you couldn't be farther a way from an ocean. Wait and take the course elsewhere, and in the Spring (preferably in Denver.) Also, if you take a TDI nitrox course you won't have to take the check-out dives (which add to the cost no matter which shop.)

Primdrumma:
Would it be a major faux pas to buy the course material elsewhere? Ebay for example. I know the shop has to make money to stay in business, but I want to hold on to that much as much as possible (I'm enlisted in the AF and married, not a lot of extra funds floating around)
Yeah it's a major faux pas. They might not sell you the course if they aren't selling you materials.

It sounds high. At our shop I believe the course it 150 for everything including a couple of tanks of nitrox for your checkout dives.

But we ain't there.

Primdrumma:
Here's the page I'm getting the info from...

http://www.alpinescuba.net/specialties.htm

Looks like a DVD is included; do I really need a DVD? or is this just a typical upsale?

The materials are in a "pack". You get the little book, EN32 & 36 tables, O2 table, and a cheesy video. It wouldn't be PADI without the cheesy video :D
I don't remember what I paid for mine, but those PADI materials are notoriously expensive considering how little you get.

Primdrumma:
Would it be a major faux pas to buy the course material elsewhere? Ebay for example.

Not necessarily, but don't expect them to reduce the cost of the course by much and certainly not by whatever you paid for the books/tables. They probably have a costing without the materials ready for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom