Does this happen everywhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I work on a boat on the St Lawrence and you get the odd person that is a know it all, and I have seen one or two people blow off advice about something coming from one of our captains that is also a very experienced diver, but that is not the norm. Most divers are respectful of other divers and of me and the others as crew. Most listen to our advice and recognize we dive the river and the sites all the time, and might have advice to make them safer, and they appreciate it. I will be honest, anyone that I have seen that is a bragger tends to be a bit younger, so it might just be a generational thing. When I was younger I knew everything about everything, seems I have forgotten a lot as I have gotten older. :wink: It might be more of a travel destination thing, or a cultural thing.

Well, I learned a new term today: FIGJAM. At first, I thought it was some semi-secret group or protocol. Like "DIR". Looked it up. Learned something new on SB.
Pete's favorite things to say:

FIGJAM
Denial
FUDDDDDDDDDDDD
PDC (does anyone else actually use that term but Pete?)

Bragging is often a nastsy manifestation from an inferiority complex. In Asia, you say?

The people I dive with give polite suggestions but usually keep their comments to themselves unless you're a danger to them yourself or others and most will answer a question very enthusiastically on the other hand 99% of the time if you touch another person's gear without their permission be prepared to get a verbal tongue lashing I learned this quite quickly on my first boat dive when I saw anot her new diver slide over a gear bag to make a bit of room for his stuff and holy geeze I learned from his mistake I didn't understand at the time why someone would feel so strongly about it but I get it now after so many dives if someone touches my stuff I get pretty pissy about it since my equipment is what is keeping me alive down below the waves

"Here" (Kwajalein) on our island we have a couple of FIGJAMmers. On an island where >30-40% of the population dives it is funny how they are always looking for anyone who will dive with them. The only good part is they usually shut up once the descend.

I believe the author meant "scababoard". Mut I may be wrong :(

I cant help it if I have better air consumption than the dive guides half my size or that I've been everywhere. If it comes up in conversation it comes up in conversation. Not my fault. Facts are facts.

FIGJAM

An acronym for "F**k I'm Good, Just Ask Me". Used by many Australians as a sign of triumph after completing a task, winning an award or just as a joke.
Also a song, "FIGJAM (F**k I'm Good Just Ask Me)" by Butterfingers, an Australian band.

Source: Urban Dictionary

It is common in Asia.. but over HERE, we are all much better divers. They hardly know what they're doing; their instructors are terrible and the students are even worse. Back in the states I had a great instructor, he was wonderful and had done all kinds of really cool dives. The training we get here is nothing like those divers get. I am surprised there are not more fatalities. Many of the dives we do here could never be done by those Asian divers.
Now his is actually, alhough not very politely put, quite true.
I HAVE dived with a handful of asian divers (and even an indian female) that was infact just as good as any other diver, and even according to THEM asian divers tend to suck :eek:

FIGJAM

An acronym for "F**k I'm Good, Just Ask Me". Used by many Australians as a sign of triumph after completing a task, winning an award or just as a joke.
Also a song, "FIGJAM (F**k I'm Good Just Ask Me)" by Butterfingers, an Australian band.

Source: Urban Dictionary

Thank you ... I've been sitting here wondering what it meant ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom