Does the body get better at removing nitrogen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a really interesting question and I would love to see some sort of medical study done on the original poster's question.

My answer is entirely anecdotal and based solely on just my personal experience.
I am in good shape and very active, but I didn't start diving until I turned 50. Diving in the cold waters of Monterey Bay I had a heavy steel tank and tons of weight on me. I thought I was going to have a heart attack just walking to and from the beach during shore dives with all that weight on me. Then, because I got completely addicted to diving immediately, I would often call in sick on Monday if I did too much diving that weekend because I could not stay awake, especially if I was doing deep dives.

Fast forward to now and I don't even feel the weight of my gear and I am never tired even after a record setting, for me, 10 dives in one weekend. I am also an avid cyclist and used to race. I've noticed my speed and endurance while cycling has become truly amazing since I started diving every weekend.

Like I said, totally anecdotal and only applies to my experience, but you may be on to something. I know my body has gotten stronger and faster and has greater endurance since I started diving.

That's my 2 cents.

Spisni study: A comparative evaluation of two decompression procedures for technical diving using inflammatory responses: compartmental versus ratio deco. - PubMed - NCBI used inflammatory markers to gauge "decompression stress", whatever that is. This whole "immune response" deal may be becoming the next doppler ultrasound...
While immune response may => inflammatory reaction, the latter <> the former.

I thought that had been established - even here - a long time ago. Oh well.

Where I work they're trying to use metabolic profiles in similar ways: the idea is the changes in metabolic profile detectable by modern methods can point to problems long before those become a clinical diagnosis. The huge advantage is that having a diver spit into a toaster-sized device is infinitely cheaper than doppler ultrasound. Once the machines are developed and mass-produced and all that, you could put one on every boat and collect enough data to run real statistics on.

Where I work they're trying to use metabolic profiles in similar ways: the idea is the changes in metabolic profile detectable by modern methods can point to problems long before those become a clinical diagnosis. The huge advantage is that having a diver spit into a toaster-sized device is infinitely cheaper than doppler ultrasound. Once the machines are developed and mass-produced and all that, you could put one on every boat and collect enough data to run real statistics on.
I was involved in this so called early diagnostics too and figured out this is pretty much a hoax. Too many false positives ruin any clinical value, but as long as you can scare someone enough to pay for the removal of his/her not-so-vital organs like prostate or cervix "to avoid cancer", this business model pays off.

That's OK: we'll just train a neural network and it will filter out them pesky false positives. Because, you know... it's in the cloud.

Back
Top Bottom