Does taking picture underwater require red filter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Storker... appreciate ur input.
No prob :)

I am a little excited with thr upcoming canon g17.
Dang, G17? I started shooting UW less than three years ago, that was with a G9. Sure, it was a little long in the tooth even then, but I seem to remember that the current G at that time was the 10 or 12 or something like that.

I'm getting old. My first (film) SLR was good for more than fifteen years.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Well, the war/competition between always benefits consumer for getting the best tech at a more competitive price. At the same time, we will always get outdated easily for not having the latest model because latest model appears every 2-3 months.

G16 was very well reputated. So I assume the G17 would be a leap since it's competitors are offering alot more in a package...

Still need to wait for somebody to make a housing for the new G17 too unless current G16 housings will allow it.

As has been mentioned before, light is absorbed by water. Virtually 100 percent of the red light is absorbed in the first 15'. Other colors follow with decreasing wave length penetrating deeper in the order of red, orange, yellow , green, blue. At depths of 80', it is a green and blue world.

i have taken shots of fish against what looked to me to be a background of grey rock. When I looked at the shot, the grey rock was really covered with garish orange encrusting sponges that were revealed in the white light.

If you want the whole color spectrum in your shots, you need strobes.

You also have to get close. Remember the light has to go to the subject and come back. So a subject at 5', will be illuminated by light that has travelled 10'. If you want to see red, shooting at 5' is about as far as you can go.

Blue water photo and video has some nice articles about under water photography. Also I would recommend Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographet.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try out my first underwater photography experience. Maybe i will try out with built in flash taking some least agressivr and harmful marine life with my friend's canon S100.

Thanks again everyone.

---------- Post added May 9th, 2015 at 08:48 PM ----------

Just something out of the topic. Because i post it on the video section but i didn't get much helpful response.

When i was shooting gopro underwater, i realize the video turn green when a pink suit/fin diver entered the frame and goes back to blue when thr pink diver swims away. Any white balance setting i can use for the gopro??

And one more, if shooting video underwater with video lights, do we still use red filter of i use red filter on my flash light instead?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom