Does Shark Week Affect Your Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark week doesn't even effect my TV watching which I am actually able to do without now without a shop. LOL

Bumm-bumm-bumm.......

(Oh, oh...)

Bumm-bumm-bumm-bumm....

(Here it comes...)

Bumm-bumm-bumm-bumm-bumm-bumm...

(The dreaded...)

Bumm-bumm-bumm-bumm-bumm-bumm-bumm-bumm-bumm-

(NURSE SHARK!!!!!!)

I think the show was all hype. If they really wanted to educate
divers and non-divers alike they would have shown footage of
sharks being de-finned. Shameful is the only word I can think of. :(

I have never watched Shark Week. I don't have cable, but I understand that this is the most highly watch series of shows every year by the average American. Who is that average American, I don't know? My guess is they are non-diving, landlocked folk who are also terrified of big animals like cows. Let them hype the shark scare as long as they don't try and kill them. The real threat to sharkes are the netting fishermen, long liners, and those that kill indiscriminantly for shark fins (asian shark fin soup). I hope to see a shark on my next dive, tomorrow.:scared:

eggman131 once bubbled...
As a new diver, if nothing else shark week helped to prepare me for when I do encounter a shark--it enhances the knowledge I've been given about their behaviors, etc.

If only the information being given to you were accurate, sigh....

Imagine if the Discovery Channel did a "Dog bite week". I'll bet most of my neigbors would be terrified of my black Lab. People would be complaining about dogs, and perhaps even harming or killing them.

I feel that the DC has left out most of the important information. Why? Because the real facts would lesson the fear and excitement (and the ratings).

After watching last night, I was deeply disturbed and angered by the methods of sensationalism. By condoning the fears and attitudes that contribute to the decline of our eco system, these shows are supporting the destruction of our oceans.
There are already enough people put there who feel that "the only good shark is a dead shark".

"Shark week is sensationalist only if you choose to view it this way. To me it's entertainment, plus what I wrote above.

Also, while you could argue it either way, shark week either: a) Interests the public in underwater life and encourages them to get wet, which is good for the sport, or b) Dissuades the majority from ever diving because they're scared of Jaws--and leaves the good dives to those of us already diving!"

And what about all those parents who will not let their children near the beaches (after watching this garbage). Dissuade them from interests they may have in the aquatic relm.

If these shows do encourage people to try SCUBA diving, they are getting into it for the wrong reasons.

In my opinion, the producers of these shows would cause less damage by dumping toxic waste in our rivers, or clubbing baby seals.

The only BITE that scars me is the BITE out of my livlyhood and income caused by building false fears in viewers (potential dive students).

If you think about it, you can't blame the sharks for killing 4-6 people every year worldwide. We take out over one million of them in the same time period, and we do it intentionally wheras most shark attacks are due to them mistaking us for their normal prey.

If you oppose "Shark Week", write or email the Discovery Channel. Write a letter to the editor in your local newspaper. Call your local radio station.

Above all, participate in a "shark awareness" program. Many instructors (including myself) have written PADI distinctive specialties that address all the issues regarding sharks. Many of these courses include shark dives with thorough debriefings discussing obserations.

If you do CHOOSE to dive in areas common to great whites, go with a buddy who swims slower than you. :D :D :D

It's the great underwater footage they shot that got me more interested in getting out in the ocean now that I am a newly certified diver...... Of course after I do my AOW.

The sharks are interesting to look at and it would be awesome to see one in the wild, but I feel that there is no need to have too much anxiety over a shark encounter.

Aren't the odds quite low that I could encounter any sharks that are truely dangerous to my well being unless I go looking for trouble?

Of course, a chance encounter with Heidi Klum would be even better, but those odds are...well....I'd have a better chance of winning the lotto in every state in one single week.

2 Bar once bubbled...
Does Shark Week Affect Your Diving?

Nope. The shows have been on all week in the evening, and I haven't had any night dives scheduled. :D

Marc

I'm going to retire my .444 Marlin powerheads in favor of .50 cal BMG

http://www.beco-products.com/images/product/MVC-230X.JPG
:tease:

Shark Stew:
2 1/2 lb shark steak, cut in 1 inch cubes
juice of 2 limes
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons rum
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 lb salt pork, diced
2 large Bermuda onions, finely sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 sweet red peppers, seeded and finely sliced
1 lb (6-8) roma tomatoes, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 habanero pepper, seeded
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Rinse the shark cubes under cold water, then rub with lime juice and salt.

Place in a bowl, add the rum and marinate for 30 minutes.

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven, add the diced salt pork and brown. Remove pork & set aside.

Add the onions to the oil and saute until soft, stir in the garlic and sweet red peppers and cook for 5 minutes.

Drain the shark, reserving the liquid, and add to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour over the reserved liquid and add the tomatoes, white wine, habanero pepper, oregano and cilantro. Return the salt pork to the pot and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. You may adjust the amount of habanero to your own taste.

Bob3 once bubbled...
I'm going to retire my .444 Marlin powerheads in favor of .50 cal BMG

GREAT AUNT ERKLE!

Sure you're not hunting Moby?

Looks like a terrific recipe..Gotta try it on my next Marlin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom