Does Shark Week Affect Your Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoy the footage of most things under water, and Shark Week is no exception.

I'm also trying to watch Wreck Hunters at the moment - it's great to see the dives they do, they tell you a bit about the gas mix, bottom time, depth, deco.

I saw a dive to 100m a few days ago, then two nights ago they went to 60m or so. It's interesting to watch the gear set ups, they tend to use closed helmuts supplied with gas from the surface with a bail out tank on the back.

More fuel for the Bikini Atoll adventure 2005.

I tend to cheer for the sharks in many of these shows...too many boneheads killing them worldwide for doing what they are supposed to do.

I love sharks, they are phenomenal to dive with...I'd love to make every dive a shark dive.

These shows just make me want to dive even more.

Like what things? it makes me curious, while I am not "afraid" per se of sharks, I have a healthy respect for them. I'd certainly like to know more specific behaviors and responses of sharks, specifically feeing, stalking and reflex biting behaviors.

jbd once bubbled...
any plans I have for diving but watching some of these shows and looking for specific behaviors and responses of the sharks has confirmed some things that I have seen on much more natural footage of sharks.

I've noticed that lots of Aquarium's offer Shark Dives. It's a easy way to get up close and personal with the sharks, in a controlled manner.

I did a dive in Melbourne, Australia with them and they were huge, with steel grey eyes and sharp sharp teeth.

And they had in the tank as a bonus some massive rays - 200pounds plus. Truely an experience to remember.

If you think of how many people actually see some of the more aggressive sharks, such as Whites, it's no secret that those sightings are uncommon. I think if I saw a white, who knows what I may do inside my wetsuit. Obviously, seeing a shark on a dive makes for one of those memorable ones. My wife gets to see one on every dive, since she is my dive partner...
:guitar:

I could not agree with the below statement any more, There is one guy who has become very popular, called manny something or other. Anyways, the guy freedives with the animals and every show I see him on is directed towards boosting his ego versus informing you about the animals he's dealing with and their actual habits.
I'm sick about hearing about how "brave" they are and "how big of a chance they are taking". It's absurd. The average beachgoes encounters a more dangerous situation everytime they go into the water. At least these guys get to see what they are dealing with and have the opportunity to read the sharks signs and respond accordingly.
Personally with the exception of "the anatomy of a shark bite" I have been most disappointed with shark week. Seems like all the researchers wish todo anymore is feed their egos, not research the animals.
-James

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
Last nite I watched some bozo (he actually did look like Bozo now that I think about it) swimming with a large mako while shaking a dead fish in its face. The voice-over repeatedly described the situation as being incredibly dangerous and that the divers were ever so brave...

This stuff is simple sensationalism designed to boost ratings. The guy demonstrated that sharks eat fish and tend to display aggressive behavior while doing so (duh).

Not exactly cutting-edge research. The diver gushed on and on about how much knowledge they gained pulling this stunt and how he had waited his whole life for such an opportunity...

My reaction was to change channels.

As a new diver, if nothing else shark week helped to prepare me for when I do encounter a shark--it enhances the knowledge I've been given about their behaviors, etc.

Shark week is sensationalist only if you choose to view it this way. To me it's entertainment, plus what I wrote above.

Also, while you could argue it either way, shark week either: a) Interests the public in underwater life and encourages them to get wet, which is good for the sport, or b) Dissuades the majority from ever diving because they're scared of Jaws--and leaves the good dives to those of us already diving!

Blackice, or anyone else, what channel/when is Wreck Hunters on?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom