Does PADI permit sidemount (PSAI card) in PADI classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reading this and other replies in this thread makes me even angrier at PADI and their affiliated instructor that I took my O/W checkout dives with. I wanted to use my FFM for legitimate medical reasons and the instructor appeared to be open minded to the idea, but then came back and claimed "I called PADI and under no circumstances can you be certified with your FFM because of the mask clearing and replacement drills."
Three thoughts occur to me, in reading this post:

1) I actually was not thinking of OW classes when I made the comment - I was considering more the AOW and specialty courses. But, the OW training consideration is thought-provoking. I can see PADI not agreeing to allow the use of a FFM, UNLESS the OW instructor was also credentialed as a FFM instructor, for instance. You are right - there are no standards that are specifically violated by using a FFM, a 'mask' is not defined in such a way, nor is there language in the IM, that precludes use of a FFM. There are, however, performance requirements that have to be met.
nimoh:
a FFM can be flooded, cleared, removed and replaced underwater even though it is a little more difficult than with a regular mask.
I fully agree. As an Instructor, who happens to be a FFM-certified diver, I expect i could help a student perform the flooding / clearing and remove / replace skills, BUT I expect a FFM Instructor would be a lot better.

In fact, meeting the performance requirements for 'simple' mask-related skills would be the easy part: OW Dive 1, Skill 8. Clear a partially flooded mask. OW Dive 2, Skill 9. Clear a fully flooded mask. OW Dive 3 Skill 8. Remove, replace and clear the mask. What about the regulator recovery and clearing skills, including: OW Dive 1, Skill 9. Recover and clear the regulator at depth. What about the snorkel skills, including: Dive Flexible Skills - At the surface: Snorkel/Regulator Exchange — Clear water from a snorkel and resume breathing without removing the snorkel from the mouth. Alternately breathe from snorkel and regulator without lifting the face from the water for at least two exchanges. These are performance requirements that have to be met. What about Alternate Air Source Use: OW Dive 2, Skill 10. Perform each role: In a stationary position, one person signals “out of air” and secures and breathes from an alternate air source provided by another diver; the other diver provides the air source. As the OOA diver, once you pull your FFM off, your u/w vision is compromised. The solution for FFM divers is to carry a spare 'standard' mask. So, now the skill - for an OW student - becomes a bit more complicated. Doable? Absolutely! But, in how many cases do we have OW students carrying a spare mask? Having said all this, I can see ways to address these issues, by having OW students wear a 'standard' mask, and snorkel, at least part of the time. And, having them carry a spare mask, with a snorkel. It is not by any means impossible. It merely adds to the complexity.

2) I think I will call PADI after the first of the new year, and see if perhaps their answer actually is slightly different than what you describe as your instructor's 'under no circumstances' report. I can easily see a situation where PADI Training would tell that Instructor, ' Unless you are credentialed as a FFM Instructor, you cannot permit students to use a FFM in an OW class. And, the student will still need to meet ALL performance requirements.' If that was the case, your Instructor possibly decided to put the onus of refusal on PADI, rather than himself. I also doubt that other training agencies would view the issue very differently;

3) I don't understand why you are angry at PADI? Their goal is to promote SAFE training. Students have enough issues simply flooding and removing their mask and breathing underwater, even with a second stage in their mouth the whole time. When you remove a FFM, you remove your second stage with it, and need to / should go to your alternate in the interim. That adds to the complexity of the skill, particularly for a OW student diver. As nimoh points out, it certainly can be done - I did it, multiple times, for FFM certification. But, it adds to the difficulty of the skill. In fact, the first time I attempted FFM mask replacement, I had to 'bail' and revert to using my alternate for a minute or so, before trying it again. And, I can easily see PADI - or any other competent credentialing agency - putting appropriate safety measures in place (i.e. the OW Instructor must also be qualified as a FFM Instructor). I work with a number of very competent OW instructors. Only one is FFM certified - the one that is also FFM Instructor credentialed, and who taught me. The others would, very wisely, defer on having a student pursue OW training in a FFM. Not altogether unlike diving a rebreather, I doubt that many OW Instructors are FFM certified. I have to wonder - if you really wanted / needed to use a FFM during OW training, did you talk to more than the one instructor?
RJP:
Well, there is a de facto prohibition of using a FFM in an OW diver course. Consider that in the PADI system FFM is a specialty course which requires the diver to be OW certified as a prerequisite. Further, the FFM specialty is NOT listed in the Instructor Manual as one that can be taught concurrently with OW.
While it may turn out that this interpretation is the correct one - and Ray makes a very good point - I am not sure it necessarily should be - i.e. I don't think the specialty pre-requisite requirement should rule out use of a FFM, as long as all OW performance requirements can be met. Historically, in addressing issues of divers with different physical abilities, for example, PADI's consistent emphasis has been on meeting performance requirements, NOT precluding a diver from participation because of different abilities. Use of a FFM would seem to fall within that broad rubric. I don't see a way for ALL OW dive performance requirements to be met while a student is wearing a FFM – there would need to be times when the student is equipped with a ‘standard’ mask, and a snorkel. However, if a student is physically unable to engage in diving at any time without a FFM, then the performance requirements can’t be met, and certification cannot be awarded.

Last edited:
The PADI O/W Instructor Manual neither explicitly precludes use of a FFM nor defines "mask" in such a way that excludes one's use of a FFM. So there is no standard to violate on the matter.

Also because every O/W skill requirement involving mask issues can be performed with an FFM. So it is possible to pass.

Well, there is a de facto prohibition of using a FFM in an OW diver course. Consider that in the PADI system FFM is a specialty course which requires the diver to be OW certified as a prerequisite. Further, the FFM specialty is NOT listed in the Instructor Manual as one that can be taught concurrently with OW, so there's not really a work-around available there either.

As to your second point, I'm not intimately familiar with FFM, but I'm thinking the snorkel-to-regulator exchange swim could be challenging in a FFM, no?

"Alternately breathe from snorkel and regulator without lifting the face from the water for at least two exchanges."

I'm also wondering about regulator recovery and clear, neutral hover with oral inflation, alt air source recipient, and alt air source recipient with ascent.

And, while many of the mask and regulator performance requirements could probably be done effectively by an experienced FFM diver I would question the advisability of asking an untrained OW student to do these things effectively with the added task load of a FFM.

I won't ask you to reveal personal information, but I'm struggling to imagine a "legitimate medical reason" for using a FFM in OW that did not exist in confined water. Did you use a FFM in your pool sessions?

Well, there is a de facto prohibition of using a FFM in an OW diver course. Consider that in the PADI system FFM is a specialty course which requires the diver to be OW certified as a prerequisite. Further, the FFM specialty is NOT listed in the Instructor Manual as one that can be taught concurrently with OW.

As to your second point, I'm not intimately familiar with FFM, but I'm thinking the snorkle-to-regulator exchange swim could be challenging in a FFM, no?

I forgot about that skill, and yes, that would be a real pain with a FFM.

For students taking OW, and especially when they have not been diving before, I think it is unlikely that using a FFM would turn out well, but this is just an opinion. If the course was modified to be an FFM-OW class, then I think it would be reasonable to certify a student in a FFM, but trying to do the regular OW class in FFM is probably not a good idea.

Thanks for the input everyone. Now that I understand that it is reasonable to preclude a FFM from O/W dives, I am not angry.

I won't ask you to reveal personal information, but I'm struggling to imagine a "legitimate medical reason" for using a FFM in OW that did not exist in confined water. Did you use a FFM in your pool sessions?

Sure that's OK... just look at my recent post history on the matter in the disability divers sub forum. I use FFM for the same reasons why public safety and commercial divers use them. Not all diving is done in equal water quality. In my case, a nice chlorinated pool in confined water is different than a lake near a animal feeding operations.

I ended up having checkout dives elsewhere with a traditional mask, and luckily things turned out OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom